Shingles ???

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Mickey, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    How many of you have had a medical conditions called Shingles? I have had them for about three weeks and have experiences the most pain of a lifetime. Not to mention the blisters etc. When can one expect them to completely go away?

2. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Awwwwww I thought you were going to ask a question on how to redo a shingled roof lmao:eek:oooh:

3. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Bless your heart, Mickey. They sure are painful! Length of them can depend, on the person, I think. Look them up on the web, but don't read too much, or it will drive you crazy. There are different opinions on whether they are contagious when the blisters are oozing.

Have you been around a child with chicken pox? Some believe that can trigger them, too. It's a dormant type of herpes virus from the chicken pox.

Are you taking any meds for them?

Prayers your way,
    Cheryl

Here is one of many sites

http://www.medicinenet.com/shingles/article.htm

4. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I had them in 93, but I forgot how long it took for them to clear up. I still have the scars on my chest, looks like I got shot with a 410. LOL

5. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i had them back in the early 80s mickey and i missed 10 days of w--k.bout 2 weeks in my case.

6. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Michael, we've know several people that had Shingles and they had a bad time. Don't remember how long they lasted.

Our skin doctor recommended we take the shots against Shingles but we haven't yet.

Good luck, hope you get better soon.

7. Mickey

State:
    Illinois
    I have taken all the meds and the blisters are all but gone. But I still have lots of pain. The blister area still have lots of fever in them. The doctor said that they probably have been dormanent since I had chicken pox 50 yrs ago. You are only contageous for 10 days if you start taking meds immediately.

8. Mickey

State:
    Illinois
    Dayton I would suggest you take the shots. No one ever wants to go through this. I was un aware that shots were available until I had already caught this. Thanks.

9. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Mickey,
    I looked into the shot a couple years back, after I got over them, but never took it. Unless they have changed, the shot is a live virus, and I just couldn't stand the thoughts of taking a chance on getting them again.

10. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey I havent had shingles before but my grandma has had them and said there extremely painful.

11. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    My boss had them a year ago and told me I couldnt get them because I never had chicken pox as a child. Well he was wrong. I got them about 2 months ago and they only lasted about 3 weeks luckily. They would really be painful while at work. When I got home and relaxed they would simmer down. I got lucky as it was a mild case. Hope yours go away soon Mickey, I know what there like.

12. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    Sara & I both took the shot back on January 2nd. 2008. The shots are expensive ($165.00) and we got ours at the county health clinic without a Dr's prescription. senior discount. They are normally around $200.00 and not many of the health insurance companys will pay for them, ours didn't. I would highly recomend anyone over 60 look into the shot. Ask your county health clinic about it-not your doctor. My brother had them and he set and cried with the pain and has had several outbreaks Sorry Mickey-I knew about this and just didn't post it.

13. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Here we can get the shots at Kroger pharmacy, they also give them. It would only cost my wife $20 for the shot and $20 for the injection for her insurance covers the cost of the shot all except $20. We been holding off due to Cheryl's reason but think we will get them soon.

14. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    my grandmother had them last year. she was sick for a few days. i couldnt take the baby down for 10 days or so. not sure on the info but hope ya get well soon. i remember when my grannys mom had em. i was just a little boy but i remember her having them real bad.

15. Mickey

State:
    Illinois
    I believe the shots, regardless of cost, are the way to go. No one wants to ever face this pain. I can handle pain very well but this is almost impossible to stand. There is no comfortable position. I have only slept in a bed one time since the on start. My Doctor said that there had been a large number of people with shingles of late.

16. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    It seems to me the doctor said traumatic events can cause a flare up. Like worrying or something stupid.

17. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I've had them twice. They left scares both times. It seems like they lasted a few months as I recall.

18. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    i had it when i was younger, yes it really hurts. at least its not in your eye!

19. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Mickey, I am SO sorry. I had shingles when I was 17 years old and even at that young age they were quite painful. The doc said I was the youngest person he had ever seen with shingles. I only developed three circular spots of blisters before beginning treatment (on my left upper rib cage towards the back). Mine only lasted about two weeks, but I had residual pain where the scars are for 20 years after that, especially if that area was touched/poked.

Some older folks develop postherpetic neuralgia to a much more extreme degree though, and have pain long after the blisters/rash heal. I hope that isn't the case with you. I'll be prayin' for ya.

Ozzy, you must've had a very mild case of chicken pox at some point in your life that no one noticed.....because it's definitely the dormant pox virus. I think chicken pox is herpes varicella, and shingles is herpes zoster - or somethin' like that :eek:oooh:.

Get better soon Mickey!

20. Mickey

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Tanya for your thoughts and Prayers. I don't mind the scars but the pain needs to go.