Shiners for catfish

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by daredevle, Sep 9, 2007.

1. daredevle

daredevle New Member

State:
    south carolina
    hello brothers i was thinking could you use a shiner for catfish bait like choping them in strips for channel or in a limb line for flatheads thanks good fishing and godbless:wink:

2. irishangler

irishangler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I may have mentioned this in another thread but my job doesn't allow me to get home in time to catch fresh bluegills. I'd started picking up a bucket of shiners in the evenings on my way to a local lake. I cut them in half and put both pieces on a circle hook. I add fresh pieces every 20 to 30 minutes and have had really good luck. I've caught several channel cats weighing in from 8 to 16 pounds. Shiners definitely work when fresh bluegill cutbait isn't handy. Hope this helps.

mike in SW VA

3. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sure can and Infact it works better than OK.
    Plus when we bank pole we my be tending 100 or more poles and thats a bunch of baits when your talking Blue gills .

Only down side is a decient blue gill will hang in there quite a while and can fend off small gar and dinks where a shinner is toast the min something finds him.
    But they do work and if ya can give the bait shop guy notice so he can order up, most will sell them to ya by the pound at a heck of a price reduction.. Like half price from the count'em method..

Good luck with them shiners

4. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I have used shiners a few time before with no luck. But the biggest catfish I personally saw was caught by some guy right next to me using a live shiner on a bobber go figure.

5. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I've used them at Wateree, whole up to 9 inches long and caught some nice blue cats. Now I can't find anywhere that sells them along the way to fish but they sell black saltys so I use them instead.

6. bigmaac73

bigmaac73 Member

State:
    Lenoir City, TN
    I use shiners in all the local ponds and that is the first bait I have used here that consistantlly catches fish. Other baits like stink baits or even bluegill where hit and miss. Them shiners seem to be on point every time. Haven't tried them in the river yet though.

7. lilgriz

lilgriz New Member

State:
    Aurora, KY
    i have real good luck in the spring time for channel cats using live shinners under a float. i also like to catch the big wild shinners and cut them up for bait, that works good too.

8. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    with live shiners if there are any bass in the area i bet thats all you will catch. but dead cut ones should catch the cats and the bass will leave them alone

9. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    I have caught many decent sized channel catfish with live shiners. Sunset is a great time to use them, thats when those hungry cats come out.:0a23: