Shiners for catfish

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by barren river katman, May 11, 2007.

1. barren river katman

barren river katman New Member

State:
    ky
    any one ever use shiners for catfish how effective are they at catching catfish

2. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    I haven't fished for catfish w/ shiners, but i've caught them on shiners. I've caught a couple nice flatheads and channels on a jig tipped w/ a shiner, while fishing for smallmouth bass and walleye. I use a 1/8 or 1/16 oz. jighead depending on the current. Hope this helps.

3. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I have use shinners for catfishing, it aint the best bait but it will work.

4. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    When I go crappie fishing, and can't seem to locate them, sometimes I will remove the bobber, and let the minnow sink. Have caught many channelcats this way. They love shiners too.

5. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Shiners are the mgic bait for hammer catfish. I am not talking about those puny little crappie or bass size shiners Im talking 6"-12" shiners. They also make excellent cut bait very oily and bloody fish. Good luck.

6. catfish_clayton

catfish_clayton New Member

State:
    Catania, Italy,
    I dont think they are as good as creek chubs, but I've caught alot of nice cats on them.

7. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    if i were you i would cut it open or cut it up. if you use a live one i think you will catch a lot of bass and very few cats

8. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    They work great for catfish the only thing is the bleugill and bass get to them first most of the time. I have used river shinner all my life for channels whole and cut, dead and alive.

9. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

you will have better luck with shiners caught at the creek near by the river/lake you will be fishing then the store bought shiners.:big_smile:
    (fall fish/suckers)

10. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    this last winter i couldn't find any shad, so i had to use 5" river shiners. i slammed them on the ground and punched a circle hook down the throat and out the side. after about 10 minutes in 40' of water, it was non stop action till the sun came up.
    the big ones are pretty oily too, and work good cut into chunks.

11. drews0311

drews0311 New Member

State:
    iowa
    use bullheads they are stronger and live longer. shiners work well but they arent as tuff

12. Rhinospawn

Rhinospawn New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I use river shinners about 4'-7' long for the channels up in ND..

excellent bait.. dead bait///

13. MON RIVER RAT

MON RIVER RAT New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    Shiners are usually old reliable. When nothing else is working can always catch some on shiners. Flatheads or channels.Have used them alive or freshly dead with success. Never tried them as cutbait though

14. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    I used to use shiners to catch small blue cats on jugs in TX. They are a good standby if you cant get natural baits by castnet.

15. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    Just remembered watching an old Infisherman show back when the Linder were on it and the used 4-6" shiners to fish for flatheads at night. They had pretty good success

16. circlehook

circlehook New Member

State:
    NE
    I fish a small river (more of a creek) that is loaded with 2-8lb channels. I always go catch some live shiners with a piece of nightcrawler, and use them for cutbait. Works everytime.