Shiners and Suckers

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by tomoryears7919, Apr 11, 2006.

1. tomoryears7919

tomoryears7919 New Member

State:
    Hillsboro, OHIO
    Hi, hope everyone is doing well. I have built Sams trap that I seen on the BOC Library and set it out and caught some shiners and suckers. I was wondering if everybody has had success with these for flats, big channels. I am a rookie to fishing for flatheads. Most of my life I have just fished for smaller channels with the basics (livers, worms, etc.). I usually fish paint creek lake and rocky fork lake. Good Fishing!!!!!!!

2. steve-o

steve-o New Member

State:
    ohio
    i've not personaly had any luck with the shiners, but suckers on the other hand, now thats another story. try hooking them through the lips with 7/0 kahle, or 10/0 circle hooks

3. THE CATKING

THE CATKING New Member

State:
    Cattinatti
    Although I don't make a habit of using shiners, at times and in a certain lake I do. I use a carolina rig with a torpedo float down by the bait , so the bait suspends above the bottom..... I've caught some massive channel cats like this....Plus it allows you to adjust the depth of you bait every half hour or so by allowing a few feet of line out at a time.... Many times I've had large channels hit the bait while I was letting out some line......Suckers, especially large ones , are prime cat bait.....Good Luck !!! THE CATKING !!! :)

4. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    i have caught quite a few cats on suckers and shiners, i prefer suckers though

5. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    My experience says channels wil favor the shiners, and flats favor the suckers. Live or dead, whole or cut, fresh or frozen. You should be able to take some chubs in the trap as well. Same deal.

Dennis