Shimano TLD

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Katmandeux, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I'm intrigued by these reels. It seems to me that they would be perfect for fishing circles, in that the initial resistance could be fine-tuned.

I've always felt that light action rods that would load slowly would be best for circles, but for many reasons, they're not practical, so it seems like lever drag reels on heavy action rods might be the ticket.

Has anyone tried the Shimanos? They're billed as trolling reels, so I wonder if they'll cast okay.

2. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I have Okuma T10 which is basically the same thing. Its a lever drag which is fully adjustable and has a clicker. Mine is for salt water but would probably be great for cats and other large fresh water fish. I do want to try mine for large carp out at lake mead.

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I love the Shimano Charter Special 2000 LD Level Wind.I wish I had one all of my life instead of near the end."Tackle Tour"-- Archive--Reel review--a great 2003 review on it.Also mentioned it on the BOC.It has been around and the bugs are out of it.I think it fits your description.Now I was never a owner of a bait caster.Closest thing was Penn 209 & 309 for kids and visitors straight up and down salt water bottom fishing.My hands were already crippled up when I got this reel.Others have no trouble casting it.30 feet is my max on a good day with all,including Zebco and open faced spinning.Check them out.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

4. catBob

catBob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    if im not wrong i belive i owned 2 of these reel when i started catfishing and i was not inpressed the real seemed sloppy to me i couldnt never get it to cast far took it apart it was full of plastic parts just buy your self a 7000 or 6500 u cant go wrong just my thoughts

5. duckbuster

duckbuster New Member

State:
    Ballard Co., Kentucky
    I don't know anything about that specific model, I've been looking at the "Corvalus"(sp?) models. Shimano has a pretty good reputation so I wouldn't be afraid to buy one.

6. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    The Shimano TLD reels are a non lever wind model reel but they make the Triton 200G and the Triton 200 charter special with the special drag option. Both are great reels! The 200GT was the best but they no longer make that model. I have owned all of them in the past but I only have the 200 charter special now. I sold them due to the value of the reel and people I knew wanted them. If you can find them they are great the 200G you can get anywhere the last time I looked.

7. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I bought a TR1000LD Charter Special...It's a little smaller and lighter than the TLDs, and has a levelwind. The levelwind isn't an issue for me, but the lack of one would give my buddies fits.

It holds 150 yards of 65# PowerPro over about 50 yds of 50# Big Game with room to spare.

I haven't fished it yet, but I was curious how it would cast...trolling reels usually aren't the greatest for casting, but it has an aluminum spool, and that helps a bunch. On an 8' heavy action Ugly with 3 ounces, I was able to get most of 100yds out of it, with no backlash. Good enough.:big_smile:

The lever drag rocks! I'll be able to set it with just enough resistance to set a circle, and no more. I'm in love.