Shimano Tekota 700 Reel?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by jordange3, Jun 9, 2009.

1. jordange3

jordange3 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am looking to get a couple new combos to flathead fish. right now im using abu 6500c3's. dont get me wrong i love them but im ready for some change. would anybody reccommend the tekota 700. if not what else would you get. combo wise.

2. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    The Tekota's are supposed to be great reels but i've never used one personally and they can be a bit pricey. Hard to go wrong with an ABU 7000ic3 or ics in my opinion. The Record HC60'S are also great reels if you prefer a 6500 sized reel. If you hunt around on ebay you can find some real/reel:wink: bargains. Good luck!

3. Beckman

Beckman New Member

State:
    O'Fallon MO
    The Shimano Tekota's are made from very high quality grade materials and I have used them many times - Great reels.

4. alpal16

alpal16 New Member

State:
    Philly, PA
    I just got a Tekota 600 and have only used it once, but landed a 14# flat on it. Definitely a nice reel. Casts excellent and just feels right. Can't speak to its durability as I have only had it a few days and have yet to land a biggun on it. The clicker is real easy to engage/disengage and the drag actually clicks when you adjust it. Pretty pricey, but seems worth it.

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Abu Garica 6500CL Big Game.

6. jordange3

jordange3 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    thanks for all the replays guys..now im going to have to do some more research..

7. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I dont know anything about them but if they are like the calcutta I would like them. I have a 400 calcutta and its a very smooth reel. I have no complaints about how it handles fish either.

8. getthenet

getthenet New Member

State:
    ohio
    i use shakesphere arsenal hd reels and would not trade them for anything great reels cast great i use the ar15 they make a ar20 and a ar30 and they are really cheap at about 40.00 each i would give them a try if i was you

9. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Take a look at e-bay you can pick them up prity reasonable, Cheeper that a new 7000, Once you use one you will love them,, Ive got two now and I will slowly replace all my reals with them, They are great, smoth, cast well and well built, I know they will handle a 50lb blue with ease...:wink: So far the only down side I can find and I havent had a problem yet is the free-spool switch is "plastic or graphite???"
    Puddle