Shimano Tekota 600 questions?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by bw69r, Jun 21, 2009.

1. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    how well do the shimano tekota 600's cast. i have read they are more of a trolling reel so was wondering how they cast and distance on cast. do they hold up well as a big cat reel? are they a levelwind reel? are they worth the money?

2. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I will put it like this. I've owned Abu 7000's, Penn GTI's, GTO's, and 209's, and the Tekota will outcast and outperform them hands down. I know own a whole fleet of Tekota 600's and Tekota 600LC's. and they cast farther than anything I have owned, the reel is a smooth as glass, and the drag is awesome. They are a levelwind too. I fish the Mississippi River with 5MPH current, and throw heavy weights, and the Tekota performs flawlessly. Needless to say, it's the only reel I will ever buy know. A little pricey, but the quality you get is worth it. I think the Shimano's are made in Japan where you actually get quality products, vs China like the rest. Heck, I dont think that you can't hardly get a Abu anymore that is made in Sweden. Try one, you will like it!:big_smile::wink:

3. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I seen they were using them on the river monsters show bankfishing for wells cats. he cought one 147 and 170something that i seen so id say theyd catch any cat here. i have several troling reels that cast very well just cause they say trolling doesent mean it wont cast.

4. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    thank you both Brandon and Gary. have never used baitcasting gear always spinning and was looking to make a switch. trying to decide on reel and thought the 600 or 700 sounded pretty good to me but i figured i would ask for some first hand knowledge.

5. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Good questions Brian. I dont blame you for wanting to do your homework. Gary and the others gave you very sound advice.

I have several Tekota 600's myself. I can sling 8 ounces over one hundred yards with these reels without a whole lot of effort. When you first use one, the first thing you will notice is how smooth the gears are in both freespool and drag mode. Not to mention taking in almost 3 feet of line with every turn of the reel is pretty amazing and saves you money in lead as you wont get hung up nearly as much. You will be shocked at how fast this reel puts line back on the spool.

I do my best to not spend folks hard earned money, but I can honestly say the Shimano Tekotas are money extremely well spent. I've yet to have one single problem with one yet, and I have 12!

I dont recommend the 700 series as its a little bit big and bulky. I believe you will find the 600 series to be way more than adequate for catfishing. There is not a catfish swimming that will best the gears on the 600..

IF you watch Ebay closely, you'll come across a deal every now and then. I readily admit they are pretty expensive, but its nice to know once you dump the cash on it, you wont have to worry with another one for years and years.

Its the best reel going for the money in my humble opinion.

Good luck with your decision.

6. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Dog-Gone-It Cuz and Gary,I own almost every reel that a man could have but one of them Shimano Tekota 600 series reels now I have to go and buy some of them!! What in the world am I going to tell Big Bula Mae(The Wife)???? Oh well been in the dog house before,LOL Anyone know what time Basser Pro opens up??? J.D.

7. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Oh Lordy dont buy em at Bass Pro. You'll pay a small fortune for em there. Get on Ebay John and watch the sales closely. Ebay has had the best deals I've seen on them, bar none. If anyone knows where to get em cheaper, I'd sure like to know.

8. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Thanks Cuz I'll Do. Tight lines Brother J.D.

9. alpal16

alpal16 New Member

State:
    Philly, PA
    Alot of good info on this thread already about this reel. I got one (Tekota 600) about a month ago and have had it out for a couple of trips. I agree with the others that this reel casts excellent (100 lb. power pro, 4 oz sinker, bluegill) and is very forgiving in the cast. The drag is sweetly smooth. I have landed a couple of 20+ lb fish flatheads on it and had no problems at all. Got a loud clicker, too. It is a real pleasure to use.

Got mine on eBay for $150 with shipping, just so you can compare prices.

10. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    I have not placed any money on the Tekota series due to a few reports of them failing under hard use. They used to have a problem with screws working loose and causing the reel to jam up either with a fish on or under the cast (which sends your line, sinker and bait into the horizon).

This was when they first came out, and I know a few people that tore theirs apart and placed loc-tite on every internal screw they could and never had an issue.

One friend specifically corresponded back and forth with Shimano over the reel and was told the reel was not intended to cast 4-8oz very long distances and that kind of torque and high rpm is what caused the failures. So...

It sounds like many of you have had good luck with your Tekota's and that's good to hear. Maybe Shimano made some changes and resolved that problem.

For me, If I'm going to spend $150-$200 on a reel, there should be little to NO failures at all. There are too many reels out there in that price range that will last a life time, to chance on one with a sketchy start.

If someone needs or want's a guide to rebuild one I can send you a link. It's on another forum so it would be wrong of me to post it here.

11. kansas bluecatter

kansas bluecatter New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I switched to Shimano Tekota 600's about 4 years ago and they are far and away the best reel I've ever used for big fish. The drag will out perform all the other reels commonly used for catfishing. Just my opinion but I don't think you will be sorry if you invest in a couple.

12. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    thanks for all the info everyone. what is a good price for them?

13. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    thanks for all the info everyone. what is a good price for them?