Shimano TDR rods...what do you know about them?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by irishangler, May 1, 2009.

1. irishangler

irishangler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    A local Sportman's Warehouse recently went out of business and ran a great liquidation sale. Prices went as low as 60 to 70% off and I picked up two 8-ft Shimano TDR casting rods. They are designed for trolling and/or downrigging but certainly look and feel like good catfish rods. I paired them up with Abu 6601 Ambassadeur reels. The rods are rated for 15 to 30-lb line. I spooled 30-lb Berkley Big Game mono and have only made a few casts in my backyard (got some funny looks from my neighbors). These rods cast great. I actually had to thumb a few casts to keep them from going too far. Has anyone used these rods for catfishing? Shimano is a good brand and they appear to be well made. I'm hoping to hit my local lake this weekend and put them to the test. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Mike

2. JRA

JRA New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have two of them that I use for trolling for muskies and stripers (umbrella rigs). The ones I have are the 2 pc, 8' heavy. They are nice rods for the money. Very simple fiberglass blanks with average components. I have no idea how well they cast, but they troll just fine. I have no complaints.

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    You will love them.
    I have six catfish rods that I built using that Aeroglass TDR downrigger blank. It is a real work horse...W