Shimano reel question

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by tomcat85, Mar 11, 2007.

1. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    So i got a new shimano reel tonite.It had rear drag. On the top where the regular drag would be there is a button that says push button spool. Can someone tell me what this does? lol Ive been trying to figure it out all night and its driving me nuts lol!

2. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    push the button and gently pull on the spool. i believe what ya mean would be a spool that is released just by pushing the button and not having to screw off any knobs and such.

yep. im right. i just pulled down my shimano solstace 2000rg. it says same thing. simply push the button and pull on spool and it will come right off the reel.

3. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    Thanks man I appreciate it!

4. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Yes it's a spool release button,push it in and the spool releases. I only use rear drag reels they are much easier to set the drag when you have a fish on and they are easier to change spools on. if you get two spools that are interchangeable,you can have two different test lines that can be changed in no time. .

5. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    Where can you get spool for higher lb test line on a shimano? Thats a great thing ive never heard of it lol!!

6. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    no problem, i was pretty sure till i looked up at the celing (i was in the shop) and relized i had a couple. lol.

7. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Any of your local tackle shops that does reel repairs should be able to order a extra spool for your reel. Check the price on a new spool and then check ebay,a lot of times it's cheaper to just buy a used reel for parts.

8. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well let me check. i believe i might be able to help ya, ill get back soon.may be able to help ya with a spare spool. what model is your reel. i have one for a shimano.

9. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    I think its an ax 4000 rb. But ill double check and let ya know!