shimano corsair 400

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Catalac, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Catalac

Catalac New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey guys I just bought a couple of these and was wondering everyone's opinion on them. Be honest you won't hurt my feelings if you don't like them but I feel they will do better on my channel rods than the okumas I have.

Thanks

2. Fishbit

Fishbit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I aquired a used corsair CS400A several years ago and after cleaning it, it works dandy. It is discontinued by Shimano but some parts are still available.
    I use it for saltwater and catfishing. It casts lures quite well and it has a large line capacity. I have it spooled with 30 lb braid. Pretty good drag too.
    The only thing I don't like is the plastic cover for the pawl. I broke one by over-tightening it but was able to replace it with one from another shimano model. They were the same size.
    It is better made than most of the Okuma casting models I have seen. I use Okuma spinners and like them though.

3. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    i have a couple ,and they are really good reels..the only thing i don't like about them is the bait clicker switch,it needs to be bigger !!

4. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Good reel.but the level wind part is plastic. And will break. That is what happened to the one I bought when they first came out.
    I sure did like it. Until that piece broke.
    Pete

5. DTro

DTro Active Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I had an older 400. The older ones have plastic gears I believe.
    Anyways it was fine until I caught my biggest flathead. I had to retire the reel after that night.
    One fish, and it had a stripped drag, broken handle nut cover, and a broken freespool thumblever.
    It will work, but there are better options out there.