Shimano Cardiff ?'s

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Rottdog, Mar 3, 2007.

1. Rottdog

Rottdog New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hello everyone,
    I am still pretty new at catfishing, I started last summer, I bought a Shimano Cardiff 200A and then went back a couple of months later and bought a Cardiff 400A. I was curious what you all thought about those two reels for catfishing. I primarily fish off the banks at lakes, however I would like to do a little big cat fishing off the banks of the Missouri this year.

Thanks to everyone in advance for their opinions on this matter.
    Garrett

2. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I think they is good reels, but I pefer Abu.

3. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    The 400, should handel anything, you hook,
    Ihave a 400, just bought it late last summer, Avery smooth reel the only thing I seen might have me wondering I pop a side plate and looked at gears quite a bit of plastic their . This might not hurt if It holds havent put mine to test yet come to think of it I havent tested anything very much here lately
    Jim

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Good reels, just a bit pricey compared to an Abu 6500. I just bought a Shimano Tr200, holds 300 yards of 20 lb test, very smooth casting. Its a lot less than the Cardiff, but appears to be of very good quality.

5. EricM

EricM Active Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
    Actually great choices. I looked into this a short while back and found that the Cardiff suited my needs extremely well. I got a 100A for my 7' ultralight casting and I use 4 lb test on it. I selected this because of the really smooth drag that releases with almost no inertia peak at start-up. To date my biggest is a 37 lb blue cat on that set-up. I liked it so well that I bought a 400A for my everyday rig because I like the large spool capacity - I use it for my 20 and 30 lb lines. Again, it has that terrific drag and my best on it is the 77 lb blue in my avatar. These reels have already seen many hours of fighting big fish and I have no complaints whatsoever, they are worth every penny. Good fishing and big fish!