Shimano Calcutta

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by KingCatBrad, Apr 16, 2007.

1. KingCatBrad

KingCatBrad New Member

State:
    Duncan, Oklaho
    Has Any One Ever Used Or Does Use The Shimano Calcutta Reels? I Was Thinking About Buying One But Do Not Know If They Are Worth The Money?????? The One That I Was Looking At Is The CT - 700B Model It Holds 200yds Of 30lb Test Mono.

Thanx In Advance For Any And All Replies

2. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    They are good reels if you ask me. I have used one in the Fla Keys fishing.

3. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i think they are the best reels made, but too high for my budget.

4. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I have a Shimano Calcutta. It was around $200. I use it for all kinds of fishing including striped bass, flathead catfish, and even carp. It has a bait-clicker and cast real smooth.

If you don't want to fork out all the cash, get a Abu, they are sometimes half the price.

5. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Hey Kingcat if your looking for a really good top end reel I know of one. I just got the new model St.Croix Avid series. Man you talk about sweet. Not many reels on the market can compare. I think the two top end reels are St.Croix and Penn Internationals models 975's. I have a Calcutta but never use it for cats. I mostly use it for stripers.

6. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    I use the calcutta 700 :big_smile:

its a bit much but its smooth, power handle (I opted for the older wood one) and its a multi tasker, I take it offshore when I go (which isnt often enough)

good reels imo , but for a reel strictly for cats there are very good reels out there for a significantly lower cost

7. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I have one calcutta ct400 and 3 abu garcia 6500's. The calcutta is smoother and holds more line but a bit pricey.

8. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    My fishing buddy has one and he loves it but he also uses it for saltwater fishing when he goes to the beach but in my opinion if you're on a budget like me and you're catfishing then just get yourself an Abu Garcia 7000c3, I don't think you will be disappointed.

9. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    i have a 700 and it's an awsome reel ,super smooth.but a nother wxcelant choice and a little cheeper is the cardiff 400 for about $110.00,they are almost as good as the calcuta's.i just traded a cardiff and tiger rod for a new 700,and i'm glad i did.

10. KingCatBrad

KingCatBrad New Member

State:
    Duncan, Oklaho
    Thank You All For The Info, And The Main Reason I Was Asking Is Because I Will Not Only Be Using It For Cats But Big River Strippers Also. To Me (while I'm Young) I Believe That You Get What You Pay. So Since I Don't Have That Many Responsibilities I Go All Out For My Fishing Gear.......LOL Even Though I Bought A Boat And Only Have A Car That Cant Pull It.... Good Thing My Every One Else That I Know Has A Truck That They Will Swap Me At Any Time....

11. EsoxJohnny

EsoxJohnny New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The Calcuttas are good reels. I have a few 400b's and I like them. However, as with most of Shimano's products you are paying a premium for the name. There are several reels out there as good if not better for a lesser price. If you want the best reel you can get for Calcutta money, I suggest you look at the Daiwa Luna.

BTW, the St. Croix Avid casting reels are Daiwa CVZ's.

12. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken

I own 1 Daiwa CVZ,tried to get another but could'nt find it, so I Just bought a CV-X 300A on sell for 127.79 reg 170.00and going to go pick up the second one this week sometime,I had it on order and it came in today.They are going to give it to me for the sell price too! LOL.The reels cast's like a bullet and reels in as smooth as it can get.I rate them among the best I,ve fished with along with ABU Morrum's that I purchased a couple years back. And the calcuttas which was on my list,but I got just as much as a reel for less money for sure.

13. Madtownangler

Madtownangler New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I scored for Christmas this year. My parents bought me a Calcutta reel and a Cabelas heavy action pack rod. Best present I've ever gotten in my life except a pellet gun when I was twelve. I'm saving it for boat fishing for muskies. I cringe when I think of a big catfish/carp pulling the rod in the water or scraping it against some rocks....... My only complaint is that they don't come in left hand. I'm right handed but prefer left handed baitcasters...just makes more sense.

14. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I have 3 of the shimano calcutta B-CT400BSV's and really like them. here is a picture of my 7 tournament rods. The 3 gold colored reels are the shimano's.

[​IMG]

15. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Was in the market for a new baitcaster for step son. My brother in law was buying a calcutta for bay fishing for reds and told me about it. When i went to Academy to look at them they had a manager's special on a gold reel called the Tirade. When i looked at them side by side i couldn't tell the difference, i mean bearing system and all casings looked identical. I asked him what the diff was??? he said name & price, they are both built for saltwater also...I don't know the truth about that but i bought 2 reels for 20$ each and put them on ugly sticks 7ft. When we went fishing i didnt tell him that i bought them i just took them along and he couldnt believe it either. so just look around if u cant afford the 200$ reels and u'd be surprised what u can find!!!