Shimano Baitrunners

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by stone, Feb 28, 2008.

1. stone

stone New Member

State:
    CA
    Who likes them and anyone has had problems with them after fishing them with high drags?

2. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I have a early bait runner bought in 1985 a 650 that has been used in both salt water and fresh. I have not had a thing go wrong with it.I don't know about the new 6500 as i don't have one.

3. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :0a36:
    "For Me - it has to be one of the best spinning reels that I have ever used". :confident:

I have a 6500 that I have been using for about two years now & I love it so much, that I just bought a 4500 for type of Fishing that I do.

:worship: "It will be hard to find a better spinning reel out there today" :big_smile:
    :0a23:

4. catman fl

catman fl New Member

State:
    fl
    I have 4 reels. 2 6500 & 2 4500. have used them for heavy saltwater & fresh water for 15 years & never had a proublem with them.once a year I take them apart & clean & relube them. on the 6500 I use 80 power pro & on the 4500 I use 60 power pro.use heavy drag settings. never had a prouble.
    robin

5. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    I've had my 6500 for a short time, but i really like.... no drag or other issues..

6. catfever

catfever Member

State:
    conway,s.c.
    4500b and 6500b, no problems at all, great reels

7. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Brother Stone;
    Wayne, in addition to the above posts from the other Brothers I have talked with others {not listed YET!:wink:} that just LOVE the reels your talking about and the one Brother owns, I believe, 7 of them with plans for getting 4 more!!:big_smile:
    I would give you his name but I had to go through my system last week and clear some stuff out so I could get new PM's and notices!:sad2: Just like my luck, I scrubbed out the PM's that he and I exchanged but I am hopeful he will see your post and jump in with a post of his own!:big_smile:
    Hope this helps somehow.
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[ Endof Post]]]]]

8. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Uhhhh Brother Stone;
    Wayne, I forgot to say WELCOME ABOARD THE BOC too!:big_smile::big_smile::big_smile:
    Your life is going to change in good and positive ways that you have no doubt just yet of how you will change too! :wink:
    If you ever have any troubles with the website don't hesitate to fill out a "Trouble Ticket" of if you can't do that just ask anyone for help and they will help you or get you to someone that can help you to the best of their abilities! I have NEVER been turned down when asking for help! I've been "Referred" a time or two, but NEVER refused when I asked for help!
    The only problem you might have is being a bit overwhelmed at all the answers your going to get from your posts!:smile2: But don't let that bother ya, that is just the way we BOC Brothers and Sisters are!:wink:
    Of course, as you have already learned, post a question and the answer will start.
    Take Care, Come Back OFTEN, Help out if you can, ask for help if you need it and make yourself available to our Library and Archives, to answer some of your questions too.
    CONGRATS AGAIN FOR JOINING UP!:big_smile:
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

9. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Wayne, I've have three, a 6500 and two 4500's, just be sure you get the models with the "B". The older models with out the B don't have the "instant anti-reverse". I've been using mine for about 2 years now with no problems what so ever. The bait runner drag is really great.

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have a 4500B I dont use spinning reels anymore..But if I did I would use the shimano baitrunner.

11. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    they are the greatest reels ever! i own a 450, a 4500, 2 6500's, a 4500B model, a 6500B model, a thunnus12000f, 2 thunnus 1600f's, and a big baitrunner. never had a problem with any of them. i had one get dragged in the sand and saltwater i rinsed it off and fished the rest of the night with it. i would never tell you get one... i'd say get two!

12. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    I have owned and used Shimano reels since the 80s! I know them to be Well Constructed and Dependable. The Baitrunner series that is sold in the USA is a great Piece of Equipment. I have and still fish with Shimano, but have broadened my horizion as things have changed. I also own and fish with Okuma now! They are the first company that provide the style and performance of Shimano at a Lower Price. I still know Shimano to be a Better Quality product in the LONG Run, but have found Great Pleasure while fishing with the Okuma reels that I now own as well. JMHO!!!!!!!

HOPPY4

13. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I have 8 shimano baitrunners, 4 4500B and 4 6500B and I will never get another reel for catfishing. I have never serviced any of them and I have pulled trees off the bottom of the river and bent out 10/0 gamakatsu hooks and nothing has ever phased these reels. I even have shimano reels for my bream fishing, for the money you will NEVER find a reel that holds up as good as the baitrunner. People talk on here like their abu's are the best but I have taken people fishing in my boat with abus that had to put them in the rod box because they broke, I handed them a baitrunner and had a good night of fishing. I will put my baitrunners on any torture test you can think of against an abu any day.

14. stone

stone New Member

State:
    CA
    Hi

I have a few Btrs. they are the older version. I have no problems with them except for the bail spring snapping. Thats common and to be expected. I recently had a 6500 b reel which i had lent a friend came back with a clicker gear loose from the shaft. I am surprised that it has happened and do not think that its been abused. That part has worked lose as the metal have worned and probably stripped. Its not supposed to move. This doesnt in anyway affect the function of the reel except for the clicking sound. Another problem i have is with the rivet that secures the reel arm to the knob. I have a few now that is loose, it havent dropped out but is shaky. I have had owned many btrs up to the 6500 size and now currently have 6 from shimano. Another thing is that the spool doesnt seem to like saltwater very much. I do not know... having second thoughts about them. They used to be my favorite due to the bait function.