shimano baitrunner

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by ohio catfisherman, Dec 18, 2007.

1. ohio catfisherman

ohio catfisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i was wondering if these are good reels and i was also wondering how the clicker works on it im a little confused i have 4 6500's does it work like them? help me out

2. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    I have a 6500, had it about 3 years now. I will not (or haven't even thought about) using any other reel.:0a23:
    :wink:
    You have one of the "Best Reel out there for the money".
    :confident:

3. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    It's a good reel.
    As for the baitrunner feature, it's a secondary drag feature that lets fish take the bait without feeling resistance.
    As for sounding like a bait clicker, it won't. None of the baitrunner spinning reels, except for a discontinued Mitchell, have a built in clicker, you would have to buy a separate bite alarm/bank stick for it.

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have a shimano baitrunner.. let me tell ya, it is the most fun outfit i own.. i have it on a 11 ft. surf rod, and there is nothing like watching the tip start going over and the bait clicker start soundin!! i really like it for bankfishing, esp. on the lakes...rollo

5. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    As CoonX said, it's a secondary drag feature. It is set up only for the bait to almost be able to pull out line. Picture a regular reel in free spool. Now picture being able to set a very light drag while in that mode. As soon as you turn the crank, where it engages like most spinning reels, it reverts back to the original normal drag.
    I have used the above mentioned reels, but I own 3 very similar reels made by Silstar. Cheaper in price and quality. Mine do not have a clicker and yes, I too had to set up a bite alarm system like the carp fishers do. Actually, they do have one, but with my hearing, it's not loud enough for me to hear.
    Apparently, some of the Shimano's do have a clicker.
    While I fish almost entirely out of a boat, where baitrunners do not work as well, there are times when I find myself bankfishing ponds, small rivers and such. It is in these places that the baitrunner shines. I love using them. My rods of choice are custom converted Berkley Reflex 8'ers.

6. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Another thing.
    THe bait runner lets you adjust the tension on that secondary drag..
    * That means I can fish a large live bait like a small carp without him taking any line...

* A fantastic reel that can be used anywhere in the country.
    * Good choice.. I paired mine up with a stout ugly stick.

~A

7. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I own some Euro Shimano Baitrunner use them late summer early fall. They worked wonderfully in fact I wished I would of had them before. I don't own the Shimano 4500 & 6500 but have heard from many people that they are excellent reels. In fact uptill maybe three years ago they never really changed the design on them. Basically you control how much tension you want to apply with the knob at the back. I think up till about 1.5 pounds of drag which is enough for most live baits. The clicker (line out) isn't very loud but you still can manage to hear it. As soon as you turn the handle of flip the switch the main drag engages. They have been around for about twenty years with little change to them. I am know starting to get into baitcasters a bit so it so the principals are about the same.

8. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Like Bacardipro says.... they are great... I got my first one out of the salt water, as I think some poor ole fisherman dropped it in the drink... I clean it all up and have had it for some 15 years.... got another 3500, and a 6500... it is a great reel for "fine adjustment" to allow the bait to "stay put" and then when a fish hits.... the runner lets out the line, and then with one turn of the crank... the main drag come into play.... "Excellent for offshore fishing.. trolling with various baits or lures....

Merry Christmas.... Bayrunner Ray

9. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    I purchased my first Baitrunner reel in 1996! This was by no means my first Shimano and the fact that I trusted the manufactures reputation made it an easy decision. Shimano registered the name Baitrunner as it was the function of the reel that made it different. I have owned the U.S. Baitrunner 6500, Shimano Baitrunner LC, Big Baitrunner L, 10000 XTE Baitrunner and now the NEW Baitrunner Spool version Power Aero XT 10000 and Ultegra 12000 XTA. Each of these reels have the baitrunner feature and performs the same smooth line controlled release when a fish takes line. They are Excelent reels and although many New companies market a Freespool reel, the name Baitrunner is associated specificly with Shaimano. You will be Very Satisfied with the reel as they are SOLID pieces of fishing gear and LAST! JMHO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOPPY4

10. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    If you have 4 6500's and dont know how they work you need the internet dude. Double Drag.

11. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Ozzy, I'm thinking that he's talking about having the Abu 6500s instead of the Shimano 6500s.

12. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    I bought my first baitrunner in 92 a baitrunner 450 over the years i have bought 2 6500's, a 4500, a 4500b, a 6500b, 2 thunnus 16000f, a thunnus 12000f, and a big baitrunner lc. all shimanos and they're all still in sevice! a few years ago i sent the 4500b back for some servicing after a rough night fishing on the bay a shark knocked it down and it was dragged through the sand. I rinsed it off landed the shark and fished the rest of the night and it worked fine I had it serviced to cover my assets. would I recommend a baitrunner to someone? YES!

next up in my opinion are the are the okuma reels i have a corando and an epixor with the epixor being my favorite of the 2. it has an aluminum frame and eb-80 comes with a spare spool i had this reel serviced a couple of years ago and okuma was kind enough to send an updated model complete with 2 more spools so now i have 4 spools for it. also if you have a coranado cd-90 the spools are interchangeable between the 2.

If you're searching for a reel with a loud clicker do an internet search for the old silstar baitfeeder reels (RXB series) the original ones were loud and the freespool disengaged when the handle was turned then shimano sued them and they were forced to redesign them so the second generation ones weren't as loud and you had to disengage then manually.

13. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages

Didnt even think about that. I havent had an Abu in years. Sorry. Well I have a baitrunner 4500 and love it. Basically the second drag is like leaving the bail open, but its closed and you have a second drag. When a fish hits you just either start reeling or flip the second drag off manually. These are awesome for carp.

14. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Those older one are what I have, I think. I bought them in late 90's. They engage with turn of the handle, like you said, but the clicker is barely noticeable. I think that could be just my poor hearing. I thought mine were 4500, but I just checked and they say Silstar Baitfeeder RXB50m. I'm not sure what that means. They aren't the quality of Shimano, but Silstar isn't the worst out there.

15. mrmarkedwards

State:
    Delaware
    if you bought your silstar in the late 90's i think you have a second generation one the original ones were rxb the new ones were rxb m for modified. by the late 90's shimano's patent expired and we were flooded with freespool reels that disengaed when you turned the handle. does the rel handle have a wooden knob or plastic? thats another give away.

16. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    If you buy a Shimano 6500 Baitrunner, you'll never need to buy another spinning reel for BIG catfishing. I have 2 that I spool with 50lb berkely MONO. I have caught 40+lb flatheads on them, and never wanted for more power or drag. If you plan on catching middle size blues (40 to 50lb) or flatheads the same size. You can get away with a 4500 spooled with 30 or 35lb Trilene. If you plan on catching big fish, just gear up to the 6500, and put on some 50lb trilene. You'll feel better in the morning lol.

17. mrmarkedwards

State:
    Delaware
    if you like the baitrunner 6500 then you'll love the 6500b or the showstopper the thunnus 16000f there aren't many fish swimming that this reel can't whip.
    aint she purdy?

Happy Holidays!

Attached Files:

18. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Mr. Edwards I heard about the Silstar Baitrunner. They where nearly identical in design. Shimano sued Silstar as you mentioned eariler. I did hear though they where not mechanically up to par with the Shimano's though. Mr. Hopy if you can get your hands on those European Baitrunners for a good price let me know. I have the older Aero Baitrunners the smaller one. They look like they might make excellent carp reels.

19. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Mark, thanks for the info. One thing I never noticed was the handles. Two have small wood ones and one has a larger one.
    What does the "50" in the model name equate to?

20. mrmarkedwards

State:
    Delaware
    50 is just their size designation those reels were 40, 50, 60, and 80 the number just meant small, medium, large, and XL