Shimano Baitrunner Reels!

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Katmaster Jr., Aug 17, 2006.

1. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I have a Shimano Baitrunner 6500. This is one of the best reels I have ever used. Smooth, and very powerful. I'm mostly a die-hard Baitcaster guy, but it does come in handy sometimes having a good Spinning outfit, esspecially for using the Slip Bobber rigs. I highly recommend these reels.

Does anyone else here have one of these, if so, what do you think about it?

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I went with the Diawa 5050Baitrunner Sealine, AA little less expensive than the one you bought. Like you though I can not say enough good things about the reel. I like my baitcasters don't get me wrong but the spinning reels are good too.

3. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    I have 3 of the Shimano baitrunners, one in each size. The 3500, 4500 and 6500. I have not used them all that much but from what little I have used them, I am very satisfied. I have them all mounted on Ugly Stik Tiger rods (the gold colored Tiger). I haven't used the outfits but a few times. Since, I have been concentrating more on light line fishing for the past couple of months.

4. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    Katmaster Jr. and others, the reel that you have is a Work Horse and will provide you with many years of Great fishing. I still have the Old A models and will not part with them. They have been with me since 1997 and still perform without question. I have used them for Carp and Wels Catfishing and have NEVER had a PROBLEM. JMHO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOPPY4

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have a shimano 4500B best spinning reel I own by far, although I dont use it anymore:big_smile:

6. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I Don't Own Any Shimanos That Small But I Have 3 TLD 25's & 1 TLD 30-2 Speed. They Take Constant Punishment In The Saltwater. I Believe That Quality Is In All Of The Products That They Produce.

7. dgde4x4man

dgde4x4man New Member

State:
    La Moille, Illinois
    I have two of them and have never had a problem with them at all. Good reels.

8. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I have one 6500 that I got off of ebay 2 years ago for $44 , I agree its the best spinning reel Ive ever owned. Looking for another one if I can get a good deal on one.

9. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Wow that is an outstanding price!

Looks like everyone that has posted on this thread so far agrees with me that these are definitely awesome reels. After I use the one I have right now for a couple more years, if it still works good, I will get a few more of them!

10. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I have two 6500's and I agree they are excellent reels, strong drags smooth retrieves, fairly simple to disassemble for cleaning. Clickers need to be louder but having a bait-runner feature is better than not having one at all for flathead fishing.

11. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I agree, the baitclickers on them are not loud at all, but like you said, still MUCH better then not having one at all.

12. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Iv got 2 6500 and 1 3500 they are my go to reels.Iv been useing them for about 10 years now and they are still awesome reels ,Great for live bait just flip the bait runner and let the fish have it and then BAM flip the bait runner back and it's on and crackin.Yep I love em

13. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I bought a shimano 650 in 1985, it has caught everything from catfish to skipjack tuna . It is still as smooth as when new.The 650 was before the 6500

14. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Wow, good to hear everyone else is satisfied with these reels also. Sounds like I'm going to get a lot of use out of mine.

15. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I have 6 shimano baitrunners, 3 4500B's and 3 6500B's and they are the only reels I use. So far cats up to 56lbs have been no match what so ever for these reels. I wouldnt trade my 6 reels for all the abu's in the world. By far the best spinning reels under $120

16. Team StrayCats

Team StrayCats New Member

State:
    florida
    I have 2 of them and i also went to the ocuma epixor 10. its the smaller one but has proformed as well as the shimano,s . But i do like the bait caster,s have 3 of them too. Good luck

17. catfishn72

catfishn72 New Member

State:
    WhEELING,WEST VIRGINIA
    i have 2 6500s i love them clicker could be a little louder.

18. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Jr. I don't know for sure when I bought my first Shimano spinning reel but that is the only brand I buy anymore. Well almost, I've bought my wife and daughters some Zebco 33's and a number 1. Anyway, I'm sure you won't be disappointed in a Shimano.

19. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Man, all positive feedback about these reels so far, that's great. I might buy one more of them, I also love the Penn Spinning Reels though.

20. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Awsome reels! Leave it to Shimano to build a great reel! I just picked up a Baitrunner 4500b and think i'll get one more!