SHIMANO 6500 b,s

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by glen the brumsta, Jul 5, 2009.

1. glen the brumsta

glen the brumsta New Member

State:
    birmingham , england
    hi guys shimano 6500,bs and 4500,s are without doubt the most used reels for catfishing in england and sometimes abroad, althou multy pliers are normally used on french and spanish rivers (boats), the 6500 b,s have got a great reputation as having a great clutch, i have 3 myself, are they used in the states, the only down fall is the line lay, but we reckon there bullet proof when landing cats to 100 lb, i know my friend went tarpon fishing in florida and his guide was also using them. they have a bait runner which makes them ideal for our kind of fishing (MOSTLY BANK)

2. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    i have a 6500 b, like it very much and is probably the best set up I have ever used spinning wise, although i hear Okuma's Epixor Baitfeeders are just as good or better and are cheaper to boot, but I cannot speak to that personally. I am about switch to casters though, and my 6500 will be an auxiliary rig.

3. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Oh yeah a lot of guys use them catfishing here in the US but most use Abu's..I asked the guys here what was the best spin reel for big cats and the consensus was the shimano 6500..

4. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    i have 3 4500b's and love them. best reels Ive used very smooth awesome drag and built very well. the bait runner is a great feature. there a great option if you dont like baitcasters.

5. glen the brumsta

State:
    birmingham , england
    The okuma epix are also used like you said as a cheaper option, i got 3 for young nephew, someone told me shimano are something to do with okuma , dont know if any truth in it. but glad we are not the only ones using them , carp fisherman in england use more expensive tackle tart reels but give me a 4500 or 6500 any day of the week. i know a guide in spain who reckons they are the only spin reels, i think thats what you guys call em lol. that have stood the onslaught of big cat fishing he,s ever used.

6. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Ive got the 6500's and love them. Best baitrunner spinners I have used. :big_smile:

7. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i have 2 of the 4500 baitrunners and love them, those are my "goto" reels:wink:

8. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I have 2 Okuma avengers baitrunners and I like them fine,I did reel in Lenny's Shimano once they are much smoother though

9. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    in another thread i admitted to being a tackle junkie i have a model of every shimano baitrunner made i have a 450, 4500, 4500B, 6500,6500B, thunnus' and from the UK a big baitrunner i love every one of them. i also have a few okuma epixors and coranados and love them too.

okuma made parts for shimano and asked shimano for more money and of course they said no so okuma started making their own reels. they are cheaper because they cannot make their gears from the same metals that shimanos uses so they use a lower grade hence a lower price.

10. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing Well-Known Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    I gotto say I realy like my 6500's Have noy used one any smoother.

11. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    I have the 4500 & the 6500 Baitrunners / & I'm thinking about add the 3500 to my team before I go on my next Gathering
    (Mendota 2).
    (Great Spinning Reels) :0a23:
    :wink:

12. mrmarkedwards

State:
    Delaware
    bert thanks for reminding me i have a 3500B too great little reel

13. glen the brumsta

State:
    birmingham , england
    THANKS FOR THAT, i used to have 3 of those big bait runners i sold them to get my 6500bs , i also got 3500,s a friend gave me 2.:big_smile:

14. mrmarkedwards

State:
    Delaware
    you got rid of big baitrunners for 6500B's? wow not that 6500B's aren't great reels i just love my big baitrunner more. just to be clear though are we talking about the same big baitrunner? the black one that comes with a long cast spool right?

15. glen the brumsta

State:
    birmingham , england
    hi Mark

yes we are talking about the shimano long casts, they are more of an european carp fishing reel here in england, i have not got a problem with them , althou very big, it,s just i feel that the 6500b,s are more up to the job of playing catfish (WELS) i just wish the line lay on the 6500,s were as good as the long casts. not as sexy either lol. it,s all about the tool for the job, i,ve got a mate who goes catting with me he still owns long casts. he loves his. they are very popular in england .

16. mrmarkedwards

State:
    Delaware
    glen i agree with you and your friend the BBR is one sexy reel lol. what i like about the "B"models are they have most of the thunnus' upgades on a graphite frame making it a lighter reel. i tested suffix braid with my BBR and hit a cast of 280 yds with 175g lead.

17. glen the brumsta

State:
    birmingham , england
    yep your bang on. if i was carp fishing at distance for carp i would go for the long casts , but now i don,t do as much carp style fishing any more, i used to love em i got told every turn of the handle was a yard of line , there is another reel used by the rich here lol. for catting the shimano blues bait runner m,s they have a great reputation for catting , not as bulky but again great clutch, but out of my league. :sad2: 280 yrd wow.

18. glen the brumsta

State:
    birmingham , england

hi Mark

you did mean 280 yrds did,nt you , thats a heck of a cast, i reckon i could do 120 yrds with a 4 once lead with a big long cast reel, how did you measure it buddy, i thought i was casting alot further in france once , until a guy pointed out to me that every turn was roughly a yard (long cast) i was surprised on average i was hitting about 80 yrds.

thats some casting mind you i,ve seen how far you guys throw a football.

19. mrmarkedwards

State:
    Delaware
    it was measured (839) i'm a retired tournament caster and this was done with braid and the planets lined up for me that day 25mph tailwind and no bait just turn on it and let it fly.

20. glen the brumsta

State:
    birmingham , england
    well that explains it then , i thought to my self he must be a beach cast champ , or something along those lines, thats some cast. orsum.:big_smile: