Shimano 4500 baitrunner

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by MAX1955, Jan 24, 2009.

1. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I just bought my wife a brand new shimano 4500 baitrunner reel off ebay earlier this week for 94.00 shipping included. Today I bought a 9' big water ugly stik to put it on for 54.99 plus tax at bass pro. I had a 45.00 gift card so I only paid 10.00 plus tax for the rod. I figured I saved about 36.00 between the rod and reel. The reel was on the front porch when we got home from the movies late this afternoon, she was surprised when I told her it was for her. She couldn't get the hang of baitcasters, and she was using rhino spinning outfits. The problem was the rhino reels couldn't handle the weight of the sinker and baits when we fished the river. So I bought her an outfit that can handle the weight of sinkers and bait. Needless to say she is happy with her new rod and reel.

2. Relocated-Yankee

Relocated-Yankee New Member

State:
    Goldsboro
    Whatcha gonna spool it up with??

3. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Thats a great reel, she should enjoy it. Ive had mine for years and saw some great salt water action.

4. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    GREAT COMBO, i love the shimano baitrunners. I have the older 3500 and the 3500b. They are great for catfishing with live or cut bait. I am sure your wife will enjoy the setup, you may end up borrowing it!

5. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    I really like my 6500. These are fine reels.

6. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I was off on my math, I saved about 70.00 after using my gift card to get the rod.

7. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    Your right Mike, I'm already wanting to use it. Years ago thats all used was spinning outfits, before I started using baitcasters. I never had one that nice. Yankee I'll be spooling it with suffix line.

8. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    those are awesome reels, i have 2, one on each of my 7 ft. poles, can't wait til spring and get them all slimed up:wink:

9. catfever

catfever Member

State:
    conway,s.c.
    I have a 6500b, works great for me, nice reels.

10. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    I have the Shimano 4500 & 6500 Baitrunner Reels & I love them. :0a23:

I know that your wife will too.
    :wink:

11. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    did you get an "A" model or a"B" model?either way its a great reel! we have too many right now (7)and i'm getting 2 more 4500b models. what are you going to spool it up with?

12. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    Mark I bought the B model, I have to say I'm not familar with the A model. I will say it is a really nice reel, and I am thinking of getting one for myself. It doesn't compare to the other baitfeeders I have and use to use years ago. I have two silstar baitfeeders and one okuma, I used before I started using baitcasters. The shimano feels smooth and solid and you can see the quality in the reel. I will be putting suffix line on the reel, I have to use up some of the mono line that I have. Later this year I'll be getting some power pro to put on some of my setups. You can't have to many rods and reels.

13. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    I have been looking at the Baitrunners. I have a friend that has one and I must say I am envious. They are really smooth and cast really nice. I have a Quantum that is about 20 some odd years old that has a baitrunning feature that has subdued my pb ( 42 pounds ), but the Shimano outshines it for sure. I would love to get a Baitrunner for a second pole.

:cool2:

14. mrmarkedwards

State:
    Delaware
    max the differences between an "A" model and a "B" model are an A model doesn't have instant anti reverse, the bail trip is the same design as their top shelf reels the thunnus line actually the "B" models have a lot of the same features as the thunnus line except the baitrunners have a reenforced graphite body and the thunnus is a tank! all aluminum and costing twice as much. and you're telling the wrong guy "you can never have too many rods" i have a total of 28 rods and reels throughout my house and of them 15 of them are mine, 8 are my sons', 2 are friends of mine, and the rest are loners whenever friends go with me because the best way to stay my friend is by not using my gear. and you don't want to guess how many baitrunner reels i have :roll_eyes:

15. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    Mark thanks for infromation on A and B models. I have 36 rod and reels, and two baitcasters still in the box. Five of those belong to my wife, she gives me that look when I look at rods or reels. I do intend on getting a shimano baitrunner for myself, they are nice.

16. mrmarkedwards

State:
    Delaware
    just to show you how big a tackle junkie i am i have 5 custom rods and my wife was with me when i picked up my first and most expensive one(400 dollars) and told me if i got another one she was leaving me...i sure do miss her. actually i got smarter i didn't tell her i was getting them(1 a year) and i had them all wrapped in the same colors so when they were ready i would leave the house with a reel but come home with a rod and reel. reels are easy to sneek past her :wink:

17. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    They do the same thing, Mark, but it's easier...if you've seen one pair of shoes, you've seen 'em all!:smile2:

18. stone

stone New Member

State:
    CA
    BTr 4500 are great. I like them a lot. who knows you may even borrow it from her :wink: one interesting thing is that the drags of a 4500 is same as an abu 45-6500 series and yet feel so much stronger.

19. mrmarkedwards

State:
    Delaware
    the 4500B model had its drag upgraded its upgraded drag is based on the thunnus drag which is based on the stella drag which maxed out at 58lbs.:crazy: