Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Shimano 4500 B Baitrunner reel

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Catwagon 
#1 ·
Hi Guys/Gals,

Just picked up a Shimano 4500B Baitrunner spinning reel. I think I am really going to like it. But, I will have to admit that I am a pretty hardcore baitcasting reel man and have been sold on Ambassadeurs since back around 1969 or so. But, I also am a firm believer in using the right tool for the job at hand. Spinning reels and baitcasters both have their place. And, especially when using light line (say, 10 lb test or under) I would never use anything but a spinning reel.

Anyway, if any of you have any experience with the Shimano baitrunners, please make a post and let me know how well the reel has performed for you, be it pro or con. I have matched this reel with a Tsunami 10' rod, which will handle between 3 and 6 oz weight, with between 15 and 30 pound test line.

#2 ·
Sentry Dog Man, I have owned the 6500As (Original Shimano U.S. Baitrunner) for about 8 years and have found them to be Rock Solid. They have been used to pull in Wels cats up to 107lb. and have not shown the least bit of breakdown. The smaller reels should work for you without fail. The line lay is the one question that some have brought up as a sticking point along with the oscillation of the reel when making fast retreives. I for one do not have a problem with this. The Newer B Models have been improved in this sense and should not be noticable to you. I am more than satisfied with them and Fully Reccomend them to any Big Fish Spinning angler. JMHO!!!!!!!

HOPPY4

#5 ·
The 4500 and 6500's are SUPERB. They're built and fuction like a Lincoln, smooth and solid. I've used every brand and style of reel there is and these are by far my favorite. They can handle any catfish you ever tangle with. I'd sure like to shake the hand of the fellow that invented that cool baitrunner feature.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.