Shimano 3500B Baitrunner

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Sentry Dog Man, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    Are any of you using the Shimano 3500B for catfishing? If so, are you satified with it? Or, do you wish you had gotten one of the larger models?

2. Riverjake

Riverjake New Member

State:
    Joplin MO
    I'll take a shot at answering you Mike. I use mine on a 7' rod that I made for myself. In my opinion the 3500 is a top quality reel. I fish it when wading riffles and out of the boat for channels. I would go with the bigger model if you are after the "big en's". I fish more for flatheads than anything else and when doing so I prefer to use baitcasters mostly because that is what I was brought up using. Abu 7000C's with Smoothie drags and Penn 310GTI's and Jigmasters mounted on Quantum Bid Cat rods. I don't have any doubt that the larger Shimano's would handle the bigger cats. Have seen the 4500 and considered it when I bought my 3500 but it was a little more than I needed for my wading application. Although I haven't laid eyes on one I have seen a 6500 Shimano baitrunner advertised. Bet that one is a dandy. Hope this helps more than hinders you in your decision.

Riverjake

3. Sentry Dog Man

State:
    TN
    Hi Dale,

Thanks for the input. I already have one of the 4500B's and it is a great reel. I just got it a few weeks ago. But, haven't caught a fish on it yet. But, I know that it would handle a good sized cat. However, it is a pretty good sized reel. And, as for the 6500B, it is a monster. And, I really did not think that I wanted to get one that big.

Anyway, before I made this post, I had already placed my order for two of the 3500's but then I started second guessing myself, as to whether they might be to small (since I have never seen a 3500, other than pix of them). So, I thought I would put a query out, to see who might have one and how satisfied they have been with it for catfishing.

I ordered two rods for them as well, the American Premier Nite Stick Pro and a Zebco Big Cat rod, both in 9 foot models. Been wanting to try those rods out to see how well I might like them. So, I sort of went on a catfish gear spending spree last night, with two rods, two reels, 4 jars of Wicked Sticky (have heard good things about that stuff so I have to try it, even though I have never caught a thing on store bought catfish bait). And, of course, I then had to order some of Loops, Looper rigs to try out.

Like you I have almost always preferred baitcasting gear. And, I have several Ambassadeurs but only one of them makes a really good catfish reel, its the 65000 CS Rocket, smooth as silk and a very long casting reel. I got it mainly for doing some surf casting when I go to the beach but it serves double duty since I have now gotten back into catfishing, after more than 20 yrs away from it.

Anyway, with the advent of the baitrunner spinning reels, I may make a total switch to them for most of my fishing because I am very impressed with the baitrunner feature and the fact that its tension is adjustable as opposed to the nonadjustable bait clickers on the baitcasting reels.

Thanks again for your input. It is greatly appreciated

4. Riverjake

Riverjake New Member

State:
    Joplin MO
    Mike, I would be interested in how you like your setup as far as the 9' rod. Although I have three 8' rods that I use for bank fishing and casting distance doesn't enter into the picture, I have been considering a 4500 and a 9' or 10' rod, you know, "for just in case I need it". I might add that I run 20# mono on my 3500 and have had no problems. Largest I have caught on the outfit is in the 10# range and it performed like a champ. Pretty confident that it would work fine if I were lucky enough to nail one in the 15 to 20 pound range.

Sounds like you are a rod and reel junkie like me. I have about 40, for from light to heavy fishing. Always afraid I will miss out on something if I don't try the latest and greatest.

Riverjake

5. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    well to let you know what the reel will handle, I caught a 52# blue the other night on the 4500B and a 35# flat on the 6500B and they worked perfectly.

6. Sentry Dog Man

State:
    TN
    Well, as I said, I had just ordered the outfits. So, I don't know how I will like them yet :D . However, I have used/owned (and still have one, paired with a Penn 750ss) several 9' outfits before and have been extremely pleased with them. Gives you a lot of extra casting distance without having to much rod to handle. And, gives you good control of the line, pick up etc.

I have my 4500B matched up with a 10' Tsunami and it really does well. However, the rod is for surfcasting, thus the handle is a bit to long to suit me for bank fishing.

I have two St Croix rods, one 13 ft and one 10 1/2 ft, both for ultra light work and very long casts with small weights, baits, lures etc. Like anything else they are tools for the specific job at hand. And, they will tire a big fish down pretty quick. And, you don't have to worry much about them snapping your line when they make a power run. Since, the rods are so limber. But, of course you would not want to be using these rods for work, to close to heavy cover or very rocky conditions.

I will always use the longest rod I can get away with for the terrain I am fishing. Because, I like a lot of line control. Guess, I got that from doing mostly fly fishing most of my life. However, with the longer rods, the fish has the leverage advantage. So, you have to learn to play them a little differently. But, you have the advantage of longer casts, better line control and better hook setting ability (due to being able to raise up so much line).

Anyway, this is just my "short take" on the benefits of long rods for terrain specific applications.

For an "all round" rod that I can use in "most" situtations I prefer my 7 footers. But, I do have rods down to 5 1/2 feet for close in and really accurate work. I used to have some down to 4 feet or so. But, just don't fool with that much anymore. So I got rid of them.

Guess I've said to much :eek: , so I'll hush

7. Catman 1964

Catman 1964 New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    I have the 6500B and I really like it I have mine on a 9' Reflex and a 9' Glowstik rod and they work great.