shimano 3500 vs 4500

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by brownie525, May 1, 2009.

1. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    okay guys i am in the need for new reels this year ive been using two 13 walmart shakespeare reels and want something nicer. I have decided on a shiminao baitrunner but dont know which one to get the 3500 or the 4500. It will be used for channels, and stripper on the delaware off a boat. I have not seen these in person only pics but so far i am leaning towards the 4500 or do you guys think its to large. I have seen a 6500 and that thing is huge and am not sure home much smaller the other two are. so which one would work out best

2. espressokev

espressokev New Member

State:
    Iowa
    i like the 4500. I have a feeling it's the same sized body as the 3500, just with a bigger spool. Little heavier than an okuma EB50, but if it's Shimano you wanna go...go for it.

3. espressokev

espressokev New Member

State:
    Iowa
    wait, where'd did all my thanks go?

4. keepitsimple

keepitsimple New Member

State:
    virginia
    I have both and can tell you they both can take a beating. I believe the 3500 is your best choice. Throw 30 - 40 feet of mono on the bottom then tie a spool a good braid on it and it'll throw anything WAYYYYYY out there. I've bought 9 over the yrs (3 stolen) and swear by them. 1 got tore up on a monster blue that I never saw and shipped it back to shimano with the receipt and they sent me a new 1 within a week.

5. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    i just picked up a 4500b this morning luckily one of the local takle shops had them so i could see them in person. Man these things are smooth as glass and seem to be built very well. after seeing both of them i went with the 4500 its not that much bigger then the 3500 and i like the extra line capacity. can wait for tomorrow to try it out:big_smile:

6. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i'm sure you'll love the 4500, i have 2 of them and they are very smooth, great reels

7. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I don,t use spinning reels for any of my catting,but my wife uses spinning exclusively. She,s been using Cabelas Salt striker baitfeeders for the last 3 or 4 years.Big difference in price -the 4000 size works nice and runs 60$.She has 1 in the 6500 size too,if your spooling heavy line,that extra capacity comes in handy.The 65 size runs 70$.They,re 9 bearing reels,very smooth and they,ve taken a beating with no problems so far.IMO-hope this helps.

8. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    its too late to give my endorsement for the 4500 but thats the one i'd go with i just bought 2 more in march.load it with 300 yds of 20lb braid and there isn't much swimming in the Big D you can't land. by the way i have bought 16 baitrunners over the last 15 years(started with a baitrunner450) and every one of them is still in service.

9. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Right on Mike. Let us know how it worked out:wink:

10. Relocated-Yankee

Relocated-Yankee New Member

State:
    Goldsboro
    If the rod is 7' or less, I'g go with the 3500. If you're worried about capacity go with braid. For a bigger rod 71/2 and up, I'd go with a 4500. You want to balance it out. You can have Too much rod, or Too little rod for a given reel! :wink:

Scott

11. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    today i picked up a ugly stick big water 6'6 medium action and i spooled up with 20lb berkley big game. I have a feeling this is going to be an awesome setup i was casting in the back yard:smile2: and it feelt perfect i cant wait to get out this weekend and catch some fish. hopefully this damn rain stops sometime:angry:

12. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    brownie525 what part of joisey are you in?

13. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    south jersey, williamstown but you probably havent heard of it. lol

14. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Im a tackle junkie myself...But you my friend have me beat...:smile2:...To answer your question a 3500 would probably be enough for channels and probably Stripers....Less you hook up to a really big one (Striper)...If you should decided to fish for Flatheads I would step up to a 4500...If you are constantly casting and recasting or plan on using any type of lures then the 3500...Although that reel wasnt designed for tossing lures I have done it with my bait runners in a pinch...The 6500 is just a beast of a reel...So I would stick with either of those two...