ShilohRed : Any luck on the Transducer?

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by Catfish_Commando, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    ShilohRed,

I still havent cracked the code on maintaining bottom signal above 30 MPH+ with the Hummingbird 987 Unit.

Have you made any progress with Hummingbird Technicians?

Kind of aggrevating when a $90 Dollar Wallmart unit can do what a $2000 unit cant :sad2:

Paul

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Do the make a bronze or plastic though hull forthat model Paul?

3. Catfish_Commando

State:
    Georgia
    Mark,

I will have to check Hummingbird website?

It might interfere with its Side Scan ability?

Paul

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I know Humminbird makes one for my 3Dfinder.
    A true through hull is like what is used on bigger boats.
    It mounts anywhere on the underside of the boat so you can place it wherever there is the least amount of turbulence. A hole is necessary through the hull. Let me see if I can find a picture for you.

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
  6. Catfish_Commando

State:
    Georgia
    Mark,

I wouldnt even know who to trust to cut aluminum to make it happen?

I wouldnt feel bad about epoxy models, but cutting, would make me cringe with installation :crazy:

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    You big chicken!

The way I would do it is drill the hole and mount it.
    On the inside of the boat Build a small box to cover the stem. Abox that would be higher then the waterline.
    If it did get broken off you wouldn't sink.

Mine I have for the 3D will be incorporated into the skeg running down the center of the bottom of the boat. The skeg would take any beating.

I'm just curious if they make one for your model of finder. It seems their site is down.
    It aint a boat until you put a hole in it anyway.

8. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Paul I still have not gotten the unit to work at speed.
    But may just buy a standard transducer and switch that way I can change between them.
    There is also the one that works or shoots through the hull. I can't remember the name of it. But its made to work with tin boats.
    Pete

9. Catfish_Commando

State:
    Georgia
    Thanks Pete,

Shot you a PM back.

Paul

10. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Quote from the oct/nov In-Fisherman regarding the Hummingbird 987cSI

"While the unit has many positive features,anglers should also be aware of its limitations. The SI unit's transducer must be located externally on the stern of the boat. The system works best at speeds under 10MPH and on straight line courses, as turns distort the imagery"

sounds like your not gonna get the preformance You want at 30MPH with this unit.

11. Catfish_Commando

State:
    Georgia
    Brad,

They are refering to the use of the side scan on the unit, company calls for 8 MPH or less when this is activated, and a straight line as it is drawing underwater features in real time.

In normal operation, as a regular depth finder, is where I am having the problems.

Thanks,
    Paul

12. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn

There talking about the side imaging part.
    The standard depth finder part should work at 100 MPH if the transducer is set right.
    But Most that are getting it to work has a transducer mounted in the hull of the boat.
    Also have been told that you can run this unit with a standard transducer expoxied in the hull of the hull not any thicker then 100 gauge.
    I may just try that . You have to add a switch to swap from one to the big one that would allow you to have side imaging.
    But to me. As great as the unit is for finding structure. The high speed part does not bother me as bad.
    Also this transducer also is around 6" long and that is way bigger then any other unit.
    Pete

13. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Just thought I'd pass it along. I agree the regular depth finder part should work at just about any speed. might be something funky about that large transducer.

Don't feel so alone, I shelled out $2000 for a lowrance LCX 111C HD and am on My third unit now!!! The third time seems to be a charm as its working right this time, but for how long is My question.

good luck with your high end 'bird, hope it all works out in the end!

14. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    Paul, I put a vexilar alumaducer inside the hull paired up with a 777c2 and it works great, still gives me good definition even at 40 mph. the only sacrafice was the temp reading.

15. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn

Do you have to turn the power up to get the signal?
    Or does it work as good as the standard ducer?
    Been thinking about adding one to mine. And then put in a switch to swap between the 2.
    Also what kind of boat do you have yours on?
    Pete