ShiftWork

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Leakyboat, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Leakyboat

Leakyboat New Member

How many of you guys work shiftwork?Rotate or straight shifts!
    I myself rotate,1week midnights,1 week afternoons,4 weeks days!
    Worked 7 years straight midnights,one time.
    Leakyboat

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I work 2nd shift, 3pm till 11pm..I like the shift , I dont like getting up early in the morning so it works out good...The only thing I dont like is working 7 days a week, which is mandatory at my factory quite often, Sometimes you are forced to work several months without a day off.

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    11:35 pm till 8:30 am with monday and tuesdays off. Would'nt have it any other way. Its like havein 3 days off a week. Don't want weekends off. The rest of the world is off on weekends so who needs the crowds.

4. Flyingpig

Flyingpig New Member

State:
    Lakewood, Illinois
    I have worked the back shift from 7:00 pm to 7:00 am, for going on 16 years now.

In all I have worked nights for a total of almost 21 years...
    and yes I'm completly backwards now...up all night and sleep all day...even on my days off.

5. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Leakyboat,

I worked 8 hour rotating shift for 19 years. 7 evening shift, 2 day off, 6 day shift, 2 days off, 7 morning shift and 4 days off... then it all started over.

I found over the years that most people don't like shift work. I didn't have a problem with it for I liked what we called "long change"....... Get off Friday morning at 7AM and don't come back till Wednesday at 3PM. Also the plant ran better at night... the wrecking crew was home asleep! (maintenance and management), LOL

From what I heard most people working mornings can't sleep in the day time.. that was never a problem for me. Also very important for the family to accept shift work.

I guess the hardest was having to work on Christmas. After I had several years senority I would schedule a weeks vacation over Christmas.

Attached Files:

• me.jpg
      me.jpg
      File size:
      27.8 KB
      Views:
    • plant.jpg
      plant.jpg
      File size:
      48.7 KB
      Views:
  6. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I work for corrections and have Sun, Mons. off. I work 2-10pm on Tues. Thurs., Fri., Sat. and 7am-3pm Weds. It works ok for now but realy cuts into my fishing time...lol. But is good to get off work and hit the lake for a while and head back home in the early morning hours. But doing that is hard to find someone to fish with. :p

7. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Good pic Dayton. AHHH the days when ya had somethin to make a FLAT_TOP out of! LOL!

8. Leakyboat

Leakyboat New Member

I don't know about ya'll,but it kinda changed my eating up.I can get up at 7:00 AM,an eat a hamburger frito-pie what - ever!We use to get off at7:00,then go get us a burrito and a beer,people look at us like we were crazy.
    Leakyboat

9. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    i work from 11pm-8am sunday-thursday,I love working 3rd shift,i can get off work go fishin be home by 2-3pm get some sleep go to work and do it again,plus i can do them all night cat fish outing alot easier now.
    and as far as eating habits,they have really changed,ill come home and eat anything pizza,burgers what ever then wake up at 10pm and eat a pizzas,burgers what ever lol.use to i couldnt eat anything like that when i wake up without feeling sick all day lol

10. eggman

eggman New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Missouri
    I work 2nd shift, 330 to 1130 and its not to bad. In the summer I often head out to the lake and fish till 3 or 4 in the morning, love watchin those stars. My company has what they call a "bump" every year in which workers with more seniority can bump someone from another shift if they choose. This happens at the end of this month so I am a little worried I may be bumped to a different shift or to a 12 hour crew. The 12 hour guys have it all right, working 3 days on then 3 days off and every other weekend off but I would just hate havin to be in there for 12 hours....

egg

11. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    BIG GEORGE,

Thanks, Yep, those days are long gone..... now I can have a round top. LOL

12. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    ive been working 3rd shift 10pm - 7am for going on 3 years now really sucks i dont seem to get much sleep usely around 4 to 5 hours then my first day off ill usely go 20 hours with no sleep easly i never know what days i got off tell the week before may work 4 days may work 10 days tell i get a get off :cursing:

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Back when I was in the Air Force, I worked 'regular' hours for about a year; the rest of the 10+ years was shift work. On a missile launch crew, I worked 24 hour shifts (24 + briefing time + travel time to and from); as a codes custodian for 200 minuteman II ICBMs, I worked from 7 to 7 -- 2 or 3 days, then 2 or 3 nights.

14. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    George beat me to the punch . I was just getting ready to ask you Olefin.
    What happened to that cool flat top?
    Don't tell me my flat top is going to be a round top too when I get older and wiser.

Shift work. We don't work shifts but occasionally we have night work for shutdowns or either it's the only time for use to do what we have to do without dropping a pair of Kleins in somebody's coffee or worse yet on their head.
    I like working the night projects. We automatically go on time and a half regardless of how many hours we work.
    Anything after 5pm the company charges time and a half so the employees get paid time and a half.

15. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    I work 8am to 5pm mon.- Fri. Every sat and sun off.

16. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I onced worked the grave yard shift ( 11to7) for 3 years. It almost killed me. I worked the evening shift or 5 years(3 to 11). :D