She's hooked.. part 2

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Scott Daw, May 30, 2006.

1. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Ahhhh weeds!!!! I grew up fishing green lane reservoir and because of all the carp ...the only vegetation in this catfishing lake is on the bank. So i always fished with 8 lbs test and never had to worry other then what recipe to use with the fish for dinner. Now Im starting to fish lake nockamixon and theres lots of underwater vegetation. It cost my wife her first big fish. prior to the other night, she's only caught trout and panfish. how do ya'll deal with the weeds? rigs, line test...ect??

2. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    You will need stronger line if you want to keep the fish, 8lb test line isnt very strong to begin with. I would at least use 12lb test line in heavy weeded areas. I fish a pond area here on base and its full of moss, weeds, etc so I make sure the hook about 18inches above the weight at the bottom. The moss pond that I fish in is horrible though, im actually considering bringing in some carp to eat this crap. They let the vegetation get out of hand and dont do anything about it to control it. So as the summer goes on it gets almost impossible to fish in because no matter what you throw out it gets covered in moss and the fish cant find the bait. So it sounds like you might be havings a similiar problem snagging up in this stuff. I use a 1oz sinker, with a treble hook tied around 18-20 inches up, with 12lb test line and havent had any problems reeling them in.

3. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I don't remember the pond at Scott being that bad, but that was many years ago. We have two lakes here at Whiteman that we can fish. One has grass carp in it, the other doesn't. The one without carp gets so bad that casting a non-weedless lure is totally useless (it's almost that bad now), the other is almost completely clear of moss and weeds.

Even if a pond or lake has a lot of moss, usually (not always) the area near the dam will be deeper and you will be able to find a clear area there.

4. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    Grass carp are what I am considering going out and catching and putting them into the ponds here. We have two ponds as well out here at Scott, but they are both just as bad. Right now I can barely even bass fish towards the surface without pulling in 1-2lbs of moss on my lure, and it just gets worse as it gets deeper. As the summer goes on the pond is unfishable for bass and cats. So since the base isnt going to do anything about it, I will see what I can do.

5. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    White Amurs will help tremendously. Put some in Grandpa's pond a few years ago and they cleaned it right up.

Just wish there was an easy fix for Cattails.

6. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    White Amur is another name for grass carp. Thanks for the tip though, now I just need to find a good spot to catch them around here.

7. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Find a local hatchery, they are not expensive. I bought 3 of them for couple dollars a piece.

8. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    i have two neighbors up from me and they both have ponds.one puts a plastic barrel filled with approx 10 gallon of water and lets it float in his pond .his pond stays clear the other one doesn't do anything and guess what. covered with moss every summer. The wind keeps the barrel moving therefore keeps the water moving and stirred up. might give that a try. just make sure the barrel didn't have some sort of poison in it. good luck.i believe the one does have a grass carp also.

9. terrycook3

terrycook3 New Member

State:
    minnsota
    hi, go get you some 12lb andes fishing line-in my opinion the best fishing line made-also change your line often-even heavy test line is weak when its old!gl to you

10. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    dude, loosen the drag a bit and don't try to horse the fish in so much... I rarely have fish break off because of weeds (aside from lilly pads) and even then i still get more then 1/2 my fish that go into the pads (btw i fish 4 lb line alot).

If you really want to make sure the fish doesn't get off use 100lb line (braided's easier to deal with) and treble hooks... its hard for them to shake that one...