shenango river flathead catfish in new castle

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by KTK9804, Jun 22, 2009.

1. KTK9804

KTK9804 New Member

State:
    oh
    this is my first post...i love catfishing and fish shenango and mosquito nearly 3 or 4 times a week. i am planning to make a trip to new castle to flathead fish (where from what i have been told the channel is more established) i was wondering if anyone could give me a tip on an access point...bc if not i am just going to take a shot in the dark and hope i stumble upon a hole that will produce.
    already have 40 perch and getting large chubs and some bluegill (and shad if can find any) I havent caught a flat over 25 yet and would like a change from large channels found closer to the dam.
    thanks
    Kyle

2. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

3. sbrittharrell

sbrittharrell New Member

State:
    mississippi
    If you dont mind what is a chub? I here it alot on here but dont know what it is.......

4. catfish chaser

catfish chaser New Member

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    Are you planning to shore fish or out of a boat?? The river itself is not very big and shallow in spots. I wouldn't take anything bigger than a canoe. I have a little 10 boat I float down the river

5. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    creek chubs are like a sucker lookin type of fish, kind of like a cross between a shinner or minnow and a sucker

6. KTK9804

KTK9804 New Member

State:
    oh
    chub...fish found in small creeks....they r very soft and need colder water to stay alive (making them hard to keep alive(but fish love them) can catch them on a really small piece of worm...range from 4 to 10 inches as adults

Attached Files:

7. KTK9804

KTK9804 New Member

State:
    oh
    shore...will becoming down 18 from the hermitage area...i am from hartford oh which is like 5 miles from the dam

8. catfish chaser

catfish chaser New Member

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    Theres alot of good spots. Just try to find cover. I've caught alot of fish around fallen trees. Make sure if your going to fish around trees you have heavy Line. I do alot of walking through the woods. for spots myself

9. KTK9804

KTK9804 New Member

State:
    oh
    r there a lot of places to park in near new castle on or near 18.....i got the tactics for fishing and 30 lb braided line and 2 baitrunners just need access...takes about 45 mins to get there from my house and dont want to waste a trip bc i cant find a place to park relatively close....will be carrying a bucket, mini bucket, small cooler with live chubs, chair, and lantern and dont wont to walk over a 1/2 mile.
    going wednesday night so not sure if ill get anymore help...but going exploring for a spot and hopefully get some flats or a 30 in plus channel

10. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I would even go heavier with the line I use 65 pound test some guys use 80 -100 pound test so you don't get pulled into a snag:wink:

11. River Hobo

River Hobo New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I don't even know where you're talking about :confused2: so I can't help you but welcome to the BOC just the same. :big_smile: