Shenango Reservoir

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by jolie, Mar 16, 2009.

1. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    after some soul searching about where to go for an all-night fishing trip and a little prefishing expedition to the river last night (I didn't catch anything)...

I have decided I need to concentrate on iceout reservoirs. Shenango is one of the least appreciated channel catfish hotspots in WPA. While i hear all the time how great Morraine is; it is easily 5X easier to catch a channel in shenango:wink:

I tried this trick last year, but the conditions were much colder; the lake was still aways from full iceout and there was locally flooding conditions. Inother words despite the long ride during a very similar time of year-I think my experience will be much better this year.

stay tuned to this thread to see if this was an exciting display of genius or just gas guzzling wishful thinking:smile2:

on the VEry off chance that someone might want to say hi or drop by. the rt 846 bridge is where I've had the best prespawn channel bite in the past.

2. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    When ya plannin on a trip Jason??? My boat re-catfishation (new word I just made up) is nearing completion and Ive been trying to plan a maiden voyage for the ol' girl that isnt as strenious as a river trip till I get all the kinks ironed out. The first trip will most likely be Moraine, seeing as how it is much closer than Shenango, but the second destination will either be Crooked Creek Lake or Shenango for evening crappies and night time channels. I still have about a week of work left to do, but after that its catfishin time. Ive been pretty fortunate to get into some good icefishing and steelheadin' so far in 09, but its time for somethin with whiskers!!!!

3. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    Actually I'm just back from my trip to shenango. You see, every year the refinery goes into a maintenance shut down and needs lab guys round the clock for a few days. I've volunteered for graveyard shift, knowing that I'll need to stay up one whole night to get some quality day sleep before I rotate in.

last night was my 'free night'. I will soon head off to bed, but first I want to briefly recount my adventures it was a good trip:wink:

I might mention that crooked creek is a beautiful lake with a great unpressured catfish population. another one you didn't mention but has very good potential... mahoning reservoir.

OK on to the trip.

4. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    As you can tell from my post it was with a sence of worry that I planned the long ride to shenango; its 2.5hours one way for me and even with a whole night to myself- I'd still end up driving more than I was fishin'. It would stink to be skunked (that actually happened to me in 2008).

Well, I had nothing to worry about! Conditions couldn't be different than last year.. then there was skim ice and high waters. LAST night shenango was completely thawed and quite low. There wasn't even ice chunks in the parking lot. The woods even at midnight had that warmish spring smell.

my first clue how the night was going to go happened as I walked down near the shore with the latern. when apparently spooked by the light, a bluegill committed suicide. firmly beaching himself, and killing himself. Photo is included. Well, I mused- if the fish give up this easy this nights going to be great.

I was set for two bites (so I figured), one was crappies- a small jig with a bit of worm and a bobber and then other chicken liver on the bottom. A few initial throws and I am already seeing some movement on the bobbers- Crappies, I think gleefully. Imagine my suprise when after a bit a good firm strong bite and ITS a channel (1st photo); ON the worm dangled below the bobber:eek:oooh: and the chicken liver hadn't been touched.:crazy:

now I kind of dense, but I never had a time when ordinary old worms beat chicken liver so I kept at it. Well, in a little time I had several more bites on top and I started to get it! the channels didn't WANT to rout in the mud for liver, they wanted to chow the worm suspended by a bobber. Bite after bite. most missed but I did catch a few.

caught three (not counting bullies); 13"/14" and an awesome 20" channel cat. pictures of all the fish starting with the suicide sunfish , attached...

In summary, this trip was Absolutely wonderful. I didn't have a lot of time given all that driving, so I wanted a place with some action- espacially since I would surely miss the two best times of the night; dusk and dawn. The river was skyhigh and had already skunked be a few times this weekend and I wanted reminded how cool it was to have a medium sized channel catfish on the line. the 20" fit the bill perfectly.:smile2::smile2:

(and for those that value a little action) shenango has a catfish density no other western reservoir in the area (including pymatuming and morraine) can match.

Attached Files:

5. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    The 20"er.

btw; though perhaps It would do the res a little favor to cull the masses, I didn't feel like fileting anything and all the fish were released to be caught another day.

Attached Files:

6. catfish chaser

catfish chaser New Member

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    Nice job Jason!! I'm heading up that way next week probably to try my luck

7. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    The coming rain showers should make a big difference. Good luck!!