Shenandoah update anyone?

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by jeremiad, May 23, 2007.

1. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Has anyone heard about how the Shenandoah is doing? The last I heard, the fish that have survived past kills were suffering from lesions--doesn't sound too tasty! :sad2:

I stopped by the South Fork at Front Royal last week and the smallmouth were feeding. There seemed to be quite a bit of action on the river. I saw a few fish through polarized shades, but didn't have any waders handy.

2. criggster

criggster New Member

State:
    Virginia
    There are still reports of fish kills there, and also on the Cowpasture and headwaters of the James. It is a real shame to see these fish die this way. The Cowpature watershed has no industry, a few cattle farms, but very few if any poultry operations. I hope they hurry and find out what is causing this disaster.

3. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I read yesterday that they are finding dead fish all the down to Buchanan on the James:sad2:. I hope it doesn't get as bad as Shenandoah did, I really like fishing that area.

4. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    You're right, it is a shame that there are such problems with fishkills on these beautiful rivers.

The new issue of Virginia's Outdoor Report just arrived in my Inbox. I notice that smallmouths are biting in the Shenandoah, but action is slow. The link they provide to Murray's Fly Shop in Edinburg was a good one.

5. allena

allena New Member

State:
    WV/Preston Co.
    I didn`t fish in Va. this weekend but fished the South Branch of the Potomac around Romney WV. Very few bites on a variety of the usual baits. A freind who camps in the same area talked to a DNR rep on Tues. There is something killing some of the fish in that area also. I saw a few dead carp and a couple sets of bones and also dead snakes. One of the snakes was coiled but his head was laying to the side(dead also). Long story short is the warden said early tests on the water showed some contaminates but not in large enough levels to cause the damage. Sure hope they get this figured out soon as it is part of the same watershed.