Shenandoah River

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by arync, Apr 21, 2006.

1. arync

arync New Member

State:
    virginia
    I'm in Northern, VA outside of DC and I am looking for places to catch nice cats. I've read the posts in the MD section about the Potomac. Does anyone fish the Shenandoah River? I've heard the fishing at Watermellon Park was good, can anyone confirm or tell me where else along the River or anywhere else in northern VA I can go, I do not have a boat so please keep this in mind. Thanks

2. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    arync,

There are plenty of places to fish in Northern VA. Burke Lake, Lake Brittle, Bull Run etc. I have been to watermellon park once, just to see what it was like. It was very crowded, and the water seemed to be pretty shallow.

3. ears

ears New Member

State:
    *Required*
    Across the rt. 50 bridge on the shenandoah follow the road upriver there are a few parking areas with decent fishing. Below the dam in woodstock or front royal should be good for another 2 or 3 weeks you have to wade and when the water starts to feel good their gone back downriver, the river might be too low this year. The potomac has a lot of good spots to fish some you will need to wade. The road by whites ferry has pulloffs, Algonkian park, riverbend park, great falls, and my favorite, scotts run follow the trail upriver where it splits you will have to get wet to get to the fish. If you want big fish the lower potomac is the best in the area, the park at the base of the WW bridge, below the bridge, or Quantico marine base, should get you a 20+.

4. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    ears,

The location by Scotts run, where and how do you get there?

5. ears

ears New Member

State:
    *Required*
    Scotts run is off georgetown pike just outside the beltway. The parking lot at the bottom of the hill by the creek (there are two). It is a long walk and you have to wade to catch anything the metro section in the post prints river stages if the level is below 4 feet you're set. Follow the trail where it splits go upstream the trail dies out you have to keep going in the river to get around some big rocks. The best fishing is in the fast water close to the island. You cant cast to it from shore you have to get out on a rock near the channel. I use a slip float cast upstream and let the current carry it back. If you do bottom fish make sure you cast downstream and dont move your line or you will get hung in the rocks. There are walleye in the lower stretch of the channel and catfish and smallmouth all the way up to the head of the island. The eddys behind the rapids are real good. The other side of the island has the same kind of thing going on. If the water is high you can fish the lower stretch of the park you can also go to carderock in maryland its the first exit off the clara barton parkway and is directly across the river this will let you wade out to the rapids at the base of the islands and is a shorter walk but there are not as many holes to fish. I usually only bring one pole and a little bag with what I need for the day it is not easy wading with too much stuff. The fish are not huge 1 to 2 pounders mostly, but lots of them and when it is real hot the water feels good and nobody else is around but a few kayakers passing through. Hard to find a peaceful place like that two miles from the beltway

6. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Thanks for the information. I may give it a try later this summer.

7. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I used to live in Arlington and fished a lagoon behind where Crystal City is now,( just downstream from 14th St Bridge) and caught alot of nice cats there on shrimp.

8. Ripper

Ripper New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I don't know how far your willing to travel,But if you ever make it down towards Front Royal or the Luray area gimme a hollar,we'll hookup and chase some nice channels on the Doah,the last 3 trips we caught 10-12 decent cats ranging from 7-14lbs,and a few dinks.

James
    Elkton VA.