Shenandoah and Lake Frederick

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by hotrodelrod, Aug 16, 2009.

1. hotrodelrod

hotrodelrod New Member

State:
    virginia
    Hi to all, great site! I am a new member who lives in Berryville(near Winchester) Local fisheries here are the Shenandoah North of Rte. 50 bridge and Lake Frederick. Does anyone fish these spots?? Shenandoah is very shallow and Lake Frederick is clear and fairly deep. Any info/tips would be much appreciated. Thanks, Rick

2. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Welcome to the BOC Rick! I havent fished the shenandoah in many moons but when I did I always fished it at Harpers Ferry. We used to fish off the rocks down there by the park. Mostly shallow but there are some holes in there around the rocks. The Potomac River is only about an hour and a couple mins from you also. Good fishing there too around Cherry Run down to D.C. and beyond.

3. FISH PIMP

FISH PIMP New Member

State:
    Cross Junction, VA
    I have fished the Shenandoah near the Rt 7 bridge and have done real well on the small channel cats at night. I have seen a lot of people fishing near Rt 50 but I have never tried it. As for Lake Frederick, its a great Bass fishery but it can get real crowded during the weekends during the day. I would stop in at the bait shop (Minnow Trap) at Lake Frederick and talk to the owner. He is a pretty decent guy and should point you in the right direction. They have some decent pics of good sized channel cats hanging on the walls that have been caught from the lake so they are in there. They also rent small boats with electric motors. Another good spot to try is Andy Guest Park on Rt 340 south of Front Royal. I camped there 2 years ago and landed some real nice sized channel cats in the 10 lb range. Good luck and let me know if I can help you out, I am not to far from you, I live in Cross Junction.

Pete

4. hotrodelrod

hotrodelrod New Member

State:
    virginia
    Hey Pete, Where do you fish? Do you get out often? Been thinking about the river, just need o figure out where. Thanks

5. FISH PIMP

FISH PIMP New Member

State:
    Cross Junction, VA
    I started out fishing the Shenandoah but have moved on to the James River. I live in Lake Holiday and am going to try fishing some jugs out on the lake this weekend. Mainly want to use the jugs to locate good spots for rod & reel. The people that watch my son during the day have a river lot on the Shenandoah somewhere in between Rt. 7 & Rt 50. I would like to give that spot a try sometime at night soon. I am sure it will produce. I will let you know and maybe we can try and meet up. But other than that I don't fish for cats much during the summer. I like winter time fishing on the James. I mainly Bass fish during the summer.

6. rclark

rclark New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Rick and Pete !! Welcome to BOC !!! lots of info here and everyone is willing to help you out if they can!!!!

I'm just down the road from you, in Edinburg!!

Randy

7. FISH PIMP

FISH PIMP New Member

State:
    Cross Junction, VA
    Thanks Randy, I hunt just outside of Edinburg.

8. hotrodelrod

hotrodelrod New Member

State:
    virginia
    Pete, I bass fish as well. Really just got back into fishing and find myself ate up with it! Fished a ton as a kid on the Reston lakes. I do a lot of hunting. I have 78 acres here and a lease of 200 or so across rte 7 from me. I am self employed, but usually find time to escape during the week. Two young daughters make it tuff on the weekends. I have a jon and a canoe (and an old Bass boat im putting back together) If you ever want to fish shoot me a message. Always more enjoyable w/ someone to talk **it with! I have never fished for blues or on the James but would love to battle a huge cat.
    And Randy, thanks for the welcome. Same goes, send me a note if you are looking to fish with someone!

9. FISH PIMP

FISH PIMP New Member

State:
    Cross Junction, VA
    Rick,

Sounds good, if we don't get together this summer, I'll definitely invite you on a trip on the James this fall/winter. You wont be disappointed the James is where its at!!