Shellies on fire!!!

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by C_wernett, Feb 6, 2006.

1. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Sunday we went back out to our spot and tore them up again! At least somethings been working for us when the cats haven't. Here's a few pictures of the dinner that night! We fished from the shore this time and had good luck, but had to make REALLY long casts as the fish were sitting in predictable spots, but were really spooky...oh, and a side note...we caught a couple and had them chased in by a bass that was well over 10lbs! I was contemplating walking back to a spot were some smaller ones were, just to see if I could get one to snag something.

Attached Files:

2. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    Bass love brim we used to use them for bait all the time though illegal here in califronia. We'd catch palm sizers and let them swim a bobber around always caught really nice large mouths.

3. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I used to fish for 'gills back home when I discovered that too after one got snatched up while realing it in. You can't use bluegills up there either, but green sunfish are up for grabs! The biggest bass I ever caught in Iowa, a 7 pounder was caught on a green sunfish fished weightless on a farm pond.

4. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    Nice gills I caught some good stringers this last summer at a local lake, their populaiton exploded and they needed to curb it, the bass were not helping fast enough.

5. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I love to catch gills with Microlight tackle. The fight of a 1-2.5lb gill on 2lb test is great. I used a small willowleaf shaped plastice with a micro-bullet weight and fished as a top water bait. Had a good bass slam it in between gills. Lots of fun. Glad to see I am not the only one who enjoys these mini freshwater tarpon.

6. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    I love eatin them red ear.:)

7. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I've enjoyed catching sunfish ever since I was a kid. Probably part of the reason why I've already got my 4 year old daughter out with me catching sunnies on the weekends too, so that she can learn the sport, and become maybe a better fisherman than her daddy one day! But if you can't catch anything else, you can always head to your favorite gillie spot and salvage a bad day!

8. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    They also put up a great fight. I love them on a microlight rod/reel with 2lb test. We have hybrids that will hit 2-3 lbs and they really can make the drag sing. Chases teh no bite blues away.

9. fishn_maniac

fishn_maniac New Member

State:
    Al
    Not alot of them but very nice in size as i can see from the pics.Nice

10. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    Ain't nothing better than spending a day out on a lake and catching a mess of panfish. Then having someone else clean them.

11. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Well, there isn't a part of fishing I don't enjoy. Catching, cleaning, cooking, eating...you just have to have someone that feels so guilty about not helping out with the catch that they want to clean the dishes!!! lol:cool:

12. hopnbrly

hopnbrly New Member

State:
    California
    Yeah those bream are great fish to catch,can you imagine the fight if they weighed 7+ lbs?

13. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    You'd need saltwater gear to slow them down....but I wouldn't complain! I've often said that pound for pound you can't find a harder fighting fish around here!