Shellcrackers On Lake Wylie

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by WylieCat, May 4, 2007.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I found a spot today in really shallow water in the back of a cove that had a stack of shellcrackers on it. It was about the size of a dining room table and it was loaded. You could see them hovering in there. They were nice size ones and the lower 1/3 of the fish were solid black! I assume this is from spawning.

I fished the bed and the surrounding area for about an hour and caught around 40. All were released back to do their business.

2. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Not trying to be contrary pard but are you sure those were not bluegill. Shellies do not usually have that coloration. On the other hand it IS time for the bluegill to be on the beds in Wylie but typically redear bed a bit deeper and are much larger than the darkly colored 'gills. Sounds like you had a good time just the same.:lol:

3. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    I can always be wrong Mudkip. :crazy:

They did have the large red flap behind the blue flap on their fill slit, and they had the orange spotting around their head. There was a distinct color difference between them and the coloration on the bluegill without the red flap near the gill slit. I will snap a picture of one this weekend if I catch some more.

I did catch one obvious bluegill that was large and had some of the darker markings, but it was no where near as dark as the ones with the red flap. It was big enough that it had the blunt shaped head like the larger bluegill have. The shellcrackers had a more gently slopping head and were much larger.

What you can clear up for me is whether I caught a 14 pound grass or buffalo carp? :lol: My bet is a buffalo carp!! I was dragging through some shallow water and hooked the beast. It took a while to get that sucker (no pun intended) in on 6 pound line!!! I did not realize they can fight like they do.

4. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Have you set out your jugs with barbless dry fly for these fish yet??:big_smile:

5. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    My question to you is how much catfish bait can a 14 pound buff make??:lol:

6. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    I actually let this one go. Must be getting soft in my old age. It was such a good fight!!! :lol:

Seriously, I did not know how well carp meat freezes, and I had plenty of perch so I decided to let it go. Plus, I didn't have a cooler big enough to put it in!!!

7. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    tougher than striper!

8. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I wouldn't mind catch a few big shellcrackers. Carp fillets freeze rather well and they are super oily when they thew out. I put a few in the freeze to use during the winter months when catching anything gets tough.

9. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    I might have to learn to carp fish if you can freeze them well. They are fun to fight on the light tackle. I made two trips around the pontoon boat before I wore him down enough to land him. The drag works on the ol' spinning reel really well!!! :lol:

10. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Mac daddy:lol: likes carp. Real tough and bloody/oil coming out all over