shell cracker

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by jug, Nov 27, 2007.

1. jug

jug New Member

State:
    tennessee
    im looking for a little advice on the best rigs for shell crackers. any suggestions.

2. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    well I can tell ya how we fishem, Up here in Il, we use small jigs, or just live bait, But we always fish toward the bottom where the bigger ones hide. I really like bouncing small jigs usually 64th oz. with 3/4" twist or triple tails, sometime the jig head with a meal worm or maggot. Good luck

3. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    you can use what we used to use (and still do) for them. we called it a "bream carolina rig". it is the same as a regular carolina rig, but it is just downsized. i wouldnt go anything bigger than a 1/2oz weight, small barrel swivel and a #6 or #4 gold hook. we could always catch them on nightcrawlers so that what we would use. fished around stumps and brushpiles and would slay them. the reason we fished them like this is because they would hang more around the bottom and if we didnt all we would catch are little ones. top it off with a nice ultra light setup and you are in business. you might want to use 6 or 8 pound line for your leader as they have really rough mouths and will shred right through 4. good luck

4. stinkbaitman

stinkbaitman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    just use a plain hook or a tiny jig under a spitshot and small bobber. use a little live bait on the hook.

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I use a 1/4 oz splitshot and a #6 gamo hook with a piece of nitecrawler ,under a big enough slip cork to fust stay above waterline and set it so the bait is just off the bottom.

6. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    For bait we knock down wast nests and use the larva, great bait.

7. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    I understand the set up now...and many thanks.
    But when is a good time to fish for them....like in Tenn.?

8. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    if u have access to small crawdads 1 inch or smaller you can tear them up just using a number 8 hook with just a small split shot for weight.

9. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

We use crickets on a slip bobber rig. On the bottom.

10. jug

jug New Member

State:
    tennessee
    ive got some pretty good info from yall. think i found a few things i will try. in the past fished for blue gill a lot just never tried shellcrackers. i would pick up a few along the way but never alot of them. thanks for the info. anybody else want to ring in. im all ears.

11. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    william the best time to fish for them would be the same as when you would fish for regular gills. normally the spring and summer months always were better than the fall and winter. as soon as the water hits about 60 then they start turning on again. anyting above that and they are active and easy to find.