Shelf life of mono

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by flathunter, Mar 22, 2009.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know when we buy mono line from a tackle store of a deparment store, we have no way of knowing how old that line is.

It could be a month old or 2 years old.

I am very picky about the condition of my line, I mainly use berkly big game, and change line on my reels several times a year.

I do buy my line in bulk, and have alot of line left over from year to year.
    I store my spools of line inside, in a dresser drawer, out of the sunlite of course.

The conclusion that I have made is old line, as long as it has been stored right is fine to put on my reels.

The biggame line I spooled some of my reels up this year was 4 years old, "now I would never leave line on a reel that long".

After using it a couple times this year, the line casted fine, and when I got hung up on a big snag it took a whole bunch of pressure to break it off, so I could not tell of any loss in strength.

So I feel as long as you store your extra line out of the sun, out of the summer heat and inside you will be fine using old line.

Now my feelings may change if my line snaps on a big flathead this year:wink:

But I have been using old line for years, "I buy alot at one time" and it has worked just fine.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Good post,Jack. I do the same . I am too cheap or maybe just thrifty to NOT use line I have left over. I also keep mine inside . I think as long as you dont have it exposed to extreme temp variations it will be fine.

3. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Great topic Jack!!!

I think the UV rays from sunlight is what causes line to breakdown. I too store my extra line inside,and use it till it is gone. If you tighten the drag on the reel down and put the pressure of your drag setting on your line, I figure age of your line is irreliviant.

4. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I agree with you 100% :wink:

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    :0a27::0a27: With all above.

6. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I've got an old spool of Berkeley Trilene mono, 40#. Had it for almost 20 years. It was stored out of the sun, but, in some temperature extremes I'd say.. I use it for practice with learning different knots, n such.
    After reading this post, I went out and tried to break some , thinking it would be brittle or otherwise, "Gone".. but, it didn't break, I got a good stretch on it, and it seems fairly sound, ,,,,,Not too scientific, but, it impressed me...maybe try it against some of my fresher stuff for a comparison.

7. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    very good post i have often wondered about that as i to am very picky about line i buy in bulk :cool2:

8. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I agree with everybody else. Sun and heat are the line killers.I respool before every season,but my bulk line is kept cold and dark,I don,t find a reason not to keep using it.I think another thing to take into consideration is that almost all lines today have a much higher breaking strength than what they are listed at.So if you got some 5 year old 40# test that broke at 50# when it was new,it,s probaly still breaking at 45 after 5 years.:eek:oooh:

9. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Yep, I agree with everything that everyone had said so far.

Here's a little side bit on shelf life of stuff in a grocery store: I had a person from Frito Lay tell me that when you buy chips in the store, they've usually been sitting a warehouse for ONE YEAR before they hit the shelves of your local grocer. Same thing goes for soda and soft drinks. They're only dated because the USDA requires dates on items that are considered perishable.

10. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I HAVE A SPOOL OF BBG I GOT 3 YEARS AGO AND ITS BEEN SETTING HERE IN MY ROOM COVERED UP FROM ALL FORMS OF LIGHT AND ITS STILL THE SAME AS IT WAS IN 2006!!!!

I LEFT 3 FEET OF IT OUT IN THE SUN " AZ " FOR 1 WEEK STRAIGHT AND I COULD BREAK IT WITH MY HANDS ( 20 LB TEST )

I JUST GOT A SPOOL OF 12 LB TEST THAT HAS 4700 YDS ON IT AND ITS SETTING IN MY ROOM WITH THE 20LB!!!!!

SO........ TAKE CARE OF IT AND IT WILL TAKE CARE OF YOU :roll_eyes:

11. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    I'm pretty paranoid about mono. I change it often. When you take into consideration what heat and the sun can do to it and all the abuse it takes in the water, I feel comfortable changing it often. Don't wanna lose a hoss fish because your line was ragged out. I'll fish braid a lot longer but mono gets changed out regularly. Waste of money? Maybe, but it makes me feel better about my chances. lol Just my 2 cents.