Shelbyville Lake?

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by MrFlathead, Jun 10, 2009.

1. MrFlathead

MrFlathead New Member

State:
    Il
    I have a question... When I was kid my dad ran trotlines in the lake there and we on several occasions had fish bust the trotline off at one of the anchor trees and had a few swivels pulled out. Now my dads favorite bait back then was crawdads and chicken livers. I know there are flatheads in there and channels but on those baits i wouldnt think it would be great big flatheads. I know channels can get pretty big in there to but would they get big enough to bust a trotline with what i think was 200# nylon line or do you think it was big muskie snappers or maybe Bluecats? Are there even blues in Lake Shelbyville? I have fished that lake alot but never tried targeting them.

2. sscharlie

sscharlie Well-Known Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    My best guess would be that someone else did it.

3. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    maby it wasa them chines carps mrflathead:smile2:

4. leutherv

leutherv New Member

State:
    Illinois
    As far as I know there are no blue cats in Lake Shelbyville. I know they are in the Kaskaskia river but only in the lower section. There are some big flatheads though.

5. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    im 100 percent shure no real bluecatfish are in there ,the channels are blue the water coler affects them also wen they spawn they look blue so yea their bluecats, but their not bluecatfish their channels,their are some in the river but im taling rare unitl below carliel spillway

6. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    Ive caught blues in the spillway at Shelbyville. If flats are hungry enough they'll eat anything they can get in their mouth's. Without seeing the exact damage that was done it would be hard to tell if it was people or fish. We take a big flathead every year on a setline with cutbait. Foods food but if you want to consistently take flats live baits the key.

7. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    When I used to run sets for flats(more often than I do now) I'd always tie a large piece of tire innertube between the anchor line and the mainline of the set. you'd be surprised what a big angry flat can break or bend. I've seen what I thought were pretty stout hooks straightened like hairpins. I would say that I'm 100% sure there are no blues in shelbyville, but there are some nice flats, muskies,snappers, and pretty dumb bass fisherman that throw their baits across trotlines marked with bright yellow jugs on both ends that cut the line when they hook it. I watched an a@#hole do this to me on rend a few years back.:angry: It got pretty nasty to say the least!