Sheepshead

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by RiverKat, Feb 20, 2006.

1. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Any of you guys ever catch a really big Sheepshead while fishing for cats?I usually get a couple every year that push 10 lbs. I can't belive how hard those big ones fight. I've stuck a hook through smaller ones and used them as big livebaits for Flatheads but never caught any thing on them. Anyone ever caught a cat on a live sheepshead or a cut piece? I've talked to some guys in Iowa who swear by using them for Flatheads. The Grand must have literally millions of sheepshead in it. You'd think they would make a good bait.

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    they are very good for flats. never tried cut ones though. ive caught fish on sheepsheads (drum) up to 2lbs, and the flat that ate that one only went 17lb.

3. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Hello RiverKat Catch them all the time and in the last 2/3 years they seem to be growing by leaps and bounds. Catching them on chubs shrimp crawlers and have used them as cut bait and they prouduce just as good as any thing i have tried.

4. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I bowfish for them and I bet you all didn't know they have stones in their heads........YES!...It's true they look like quarter size pieces of white marble, that are flat and round. If you take a drum about 15-20 lbs. and cut about 2" above his eyes and cut though it's skull, open his head and you will see two openings near the top of his skull. The stones are laying just inside, just pop them out with your knife. They are made like a clam with a pearl, feeding on the bottom and picking up sand and it gets pressed in there and that is how they make the grunting sound. I have some friends that make necklaces out of them. I will have to get more this summer and I'll post a picture of them.;)

5. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    The sheephead in my book is one of the most underrated fish that swims. They fight like a frieght train. I love to catch them!:)

6. jross1901

jross1901 New Member

State:
    IL
    i've caught one that must have pushed 25lbs. it was in alabama about 7 years ago.
    it bit a whole yellowtail shad.

7. The J-Man!

The J-Man! New Member

State:
    St.Paul, MN
    I catch 1-4 pounders constantly when fishing for channels (usually with nightcrawlers, stink bait, or small suckers). They can be fun to catch, but I don't exactly "target" them.

I have not tried them as bait for flatheads, as I figure it is illegal in Minnesota (we can't use bluegills, goldfish, or carp), but I would assume they wold be quite successful.

8. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Hey Jim Ross,
    Nice picture! That back ground looks like the Kalamazoo River by the Alegan Dam!
    We have to get the gang back out there again this summer and go down river farther. Sal is convinced that is true Flathead Waters.
    Sparky

9. jross1901

jross1901 New Member

State:
    IL
    sure is the k-zoo. notice its still day time out in the pic too.
    that sounds good sparky, cabin fever sure is in full affect.
    can't wait to wet a line and hear the bait alarm start to scream.
    that river is loaded with flatties and giant carp. GIANT CARP.

10. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Nice fish. Guess I wont give up on sheepshead for bait!

11. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Hey Jim (steve),
    When do you usally first get out on the Kalamazoo River. Cause your right, I've got cabin fever.
    I'm heading out to Lake St. Clair in another hour to do some perch or bluegill fishing. I'm getting hungry for fish.
    Sparky

12. jspiel

jspiel New Member

State:
    comstock park michigan
    i've got a terminal case of the fever. i was hopeing that the research on meyers lake would keep the fever in check, but it is doing the opposite. i gotta get out and try to catch some cats. i heard they are catching them near one of the dams in lansing already. (for the last few weeks actually) anybody else heard about this? is it true? when are we going? lets beat this cabin fever. i'm willing to try catching a cat or two in lansing if they really are biting there now.

13. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Jspiel, I would'nt be surprised if they are getting some cats allready. The past few years I have gone to the river in early March and done quite well. I know what you mean about cabin fever. I went out to the barn the other day and sorted through my tackle and got everything in order. Even bought a new tackle box and sorted all my swivels,lead,beads,and hooks. It almost felt like I was going fishin!!