Sheds

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Denny H, Jan 15, 2007.

1. Denny H

Denny H New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Whats the earliest you've found sheds?
    Denny

2. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i have found a shed on last day of deer season. I shot a small buck, tagged him and grabbed an antler to throw him in truck with and i had a very fresh shed in my hand!

3. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    I went out last week looking and didn't find any. Jumped a couple of smaller bucks and they still were wearing theirs. Bro in law says usually the last of January or first part of February around here they should start dropping.

Checked with a guy I worked with about a year ago and he said he hasn't found any at the ranch yet and he usually finds them when riding the 4 wheeler checking on the cows.

4. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    i've never found a shed yet but Im going to try on saturday.

5. brian

brian New Member

State:
    minneasota
    most deer lose ther horns end of jan or early feb,but i have seen some in the end of march. most of the breedder buck will lose them early just cause they are stressed from all of chasing If you start looking now i would look by a food source or bedding area good luck

6. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    They have been dropping them here for about three weeks now. Some are nice sized deer too. This warm winter I think is causing alot of them to lose them early. A buddy shot a buck during muzzle loading season that had already dropped both antlers. I would say you should start looking now for them. Once they drop them they don't last long usually. The little critters like to eat them up.

7. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I don't usually have any luck finding any until spring turkey season. If I go out just looking for sheds, I'll be lucky to find any. I always seem to find them when I'm out doing something else.:confused2:

8. Denny H

Denny H New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Just an up date, I was out on 1-29-07 several deer were moving and was able to see two nice bucks. One had dropped his right antler. Also was able to watch a couple of Bald Eagles on a nest. Took some pics, but the quality was not the best.

Attached Files:

9. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I usually wait until the end of Feb. or March and find them in my friends apple orchard. I was putting a tree stand up at the beginning of last bow season and found two nice sheds from the right side of two different bucks at the bottom of the tree. They were no more then 10 inches apart.

10. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I've never found any, yet; but then we pull out of the woods once hunting season ends, & then I can't get Buddy to go back & just let me "wander" around. Then, before you know it, spring's here & the fishing, yard work, house fix-ups, etc. start...and it's too late. Maybe one day I can get back out there & find something. I just never know where to really look. Any suggestions? (No, I don't have access to a neighbor's apple orchard. Ha!)

11. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    roxie find the winter food source of the herd in your area and start looking in that area back to the bedding area. remember if you are just seeing does in the area dont mean there isnt bucks there also because they are pretty noctural at this point. in areas where there is a lot of farming look around the grain bins and if the door is open look inside also. lot of them get knocked off inside the grain bins in canada. old fence lines and ditches are good area to find them in too. most of the time both antlers get shed off within 300 yards of each other on the bigger bucks. they will knock the other off with there hoofs alot of times once the first one falls off. i find it better to just look for something white in color than looking for a shed antler. most of the time you will only see part of it due to the leaves on old sheds. shed hunting can be very rewarding if you find the right area to look for them. its better to look in areas where the deer are on a limited harvest too. more bucks more sheds. i find 2-3 every year in my area but this area is not too good for shed hunting. once you find a couple you will develope a eye for what to be looking for and it will surprise you at how many are out there. good luck

12. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Roxie, Michael has the right idea. I find a lot of them in bedding areas, especially after a light snow, which makes bedding areas easy to find. It also helps locate areas the deer use later in the season so you can find deer next hunting season. I'm always amazed at how many big bucks make it through hunting season, even in areas with heavy hunting pressure. There are more really nice bucks out there than most people are aware of.

13. huntsfromtree

huntsfromtree New Member

State:
    KC Northland
    My earliest shed was found on Dec.16, 2003, a big 7 pt..Then next day I shot a 140" eight point with both antlers still very much attached. I am a huge shed hunter but dont start looking till the end of feb. The last thing you want to do is push big bucks out of their bedding areas before they shed.