Shed hunting

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by justwannano, Feb 7, 2008.

1. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Anyone finding any yet?
    I haven't seen the deer herd that frequents this area yet this year to see if they still have theirs.
    Usually this time of the year I'll see 15 or so back in our alfalfa.Maybe after this snow melts.
    the best to ya
    just

2. Johny Buck

Johny Buck New Member

State:
    virginia
    Took my son out yesterday looking without much luck. I was able to shoot a young buck with the camera before he spooked. Obviously he still had his antlers. I'll keep looking.

Attached Files:

3. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I think I might go today and try my luck out. My buddies (with way more time than me) have been finding a few, last year they found the motherload

4. capmadlee

capmadlee Member

State:
    p hill missouri
    found one today. was about a mid 130s if other side matched. i couldnt find it. it had the brow tine broke off and a crack on the base. it was under a lot of leafs and only the 11 inch g2 was showing. the way it looked i thank it was broke off in a fight. it has a lot of mass so their must be a big boy in their somewhere.

5. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    the only ones i have found so far were evidently dropped last year. i have seen a few mulie bucks running around with one antler, but all the whitetails i have seen lately have been does.

6. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I found two right side antlers at the base of a tree I had a stand in. I hunted that tree several times and never saw any deer out of it.

7. capmadlee

capmadlee Member

State:
    p hill missouri
    must be my lucky year i found two more today. a little four point and a fork horn. neither was big but their still fun to find. ill try to get pics up

8. capmadlee

capmadlee Member

State:
    p hill missouri
    i keep getting a upload error when trying to attach the pics. can anyone help?

9. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    welcome to the best boc

10. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    nice catfish:wink:

11. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Just started finding sheds this past week here in central Indiana. No photos

12. DCcatfisher

DCcatfisher New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I saw a article in a magazine a while back for a shed catcher that looked like it would work reasonably well as long as the deer would eat bait that you poured out on the ground. The idea behind it was to take five fence post and plant them in the ground in a staggered fashion were you would have three in a row at equal distances about 6-8 feet apart, ( I think, its been awhile since I saw it), call this row one. Place the remaining two inline with each other and split the distance between the first and second and second and third post of the first row and about 6-8 feet above the first row, call this row two. Then take some 5 or 6 foot tall woven wire fencing and starting at the first post on row one run it at an angle to the first post on row two, then back to the second post of row one, then back to the second post of row two, and finally end up at the third post on row one and secure it with fencing staples on all the post and trim off any excess that extends beyond the post. You should have something that looks similar to this if you were to look down on top of it from above /\/\ at the ends of the lines would be post and the lines would be fencing. Put the bait (make sure it is legal in your area) back in the "V's" created by the fencing so as the deer bend over to eat they will rake their horns over the fencing. From what I remember of the article the author suggested building the trap prior to deer season so the deer could become used to it but not actually baiting until late into the season or just before the animals begin losing their antlers to help minimize the chances of a deer catching them in the fencing and causing injury or death to themselves. As I previously stated it has been a long time since I read this article and the measurements are not guaranteed to be exactly right so you may want to do some planning and measuring before begining to build this project, it is pretty obvious if the angle of the fencing running between row one and row two isn't steep enough or is to steep this will not work correctly, so check it out before you spend alot of time building something you have to tear down and rebuild, in other words measure twice cut once. Good luck and happy hunting!!

13. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    here in utah they have started to drop. i have found a few but not many yet.
    the elk havnt dropped any yet so i will go out in a few weeks to look.

14. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    last year i found 1 side of a deers antlers that was 8 pts. woulda liked to shoot that deer if i ever seen him.

15. Catalac

Catalac New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i think it is now illegal to hunt sheds in ohio. you may be able to but you have to receive a special permit/tag per shed.

16. catgetter1

catgetter1 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    NOW DON'T THAT ADD INSULT TA INJURY:confused2:.....THERE'S ALWAYS NEXT YEAR

17. Angler4life

Angler4life New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Wow, I sure hope there isn't a law about shed hunting in Ohio now, because my buddy and I are planning to go tomorrow for a few hours.

18. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    i found this 1 last weekend with my boys. this is my lil boy Gabriel.

Attached Files:

• 009.jpg
      009.jpg
      File size:
      22.1 KB
      Views:
    • 011.jpg
      011.jpg
      File size:
      31.8 KB
      Views:
    • 010.jpg
      010.jpg
      File size:
      27.5 KB
      Views:
  19. Bullseye017

Bullseye017 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    In Ohio I think its just illegal to take them from parks, but you can take all you want from private land

20. iFish

iFish New Member

State:
    Kansas
    One of my friends found a 12 point and 13 point locked together this year, the one day I cant go with him :angry: Then another one of my friends found a 20 point rack and skull just a few days ago. It was in the middle of a shallow creek...