Shear pins

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by adeeden, Apr 23, 2006.

1. adeeden

adeeden New Member

State:
    Illinois
    What exactly are shear pins made from?. I have a 1972 18 horse evinrude, that i run on a very brushy stretch of river and i am constantly shearing pins. I tried to make some out of some hardware brass but these break even easier than the ones i get at the local boat shop? They actually break for no reason at all actually. the hole in the shaft does not seem to be worn and the pins fit nicely. Would it hurt to make some out of mild steel?
    thanks in advance,
    Dennis

2. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Aaron, I would stick to the factory sheer pins. If you are having trouble I would purchase several packs at a time. If you make your own pins and they are too hard they could cause major damage to your prop or even worse you could twist a shaft. Either way both are expensive fixes compared to the price of a few sheer pins. Also you might want to try to avoid debris a little better to lengthen the life of the pins. Vern

3. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i have the same problem, i have tried every thing when those motors were designed i dont think they were sober. what i use now is nails hard galvinized nails . they still shear. i talked to i person told me to use the end of welding rod. ( stick the end that fits the clamp) havent tried it yet . it sure is agervating. cottenpickin thing after about 2-3 hrs of hard running it will just sher off , no reason so i use nails at least they are cheep. i have a good supply in my tackle box along with cutters hammer ,ect. change an go . :confused:

4. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I wish the shearpin in the Johnson 40hp would actually shear! Broke a prop because it didn't shear and it was a factory pin.

5. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    mabey ill check out some of them pins . ill redrill if i need to . i have props thanks

6. adeeden

adeeden New Member

State:
    Illinois
    caatstalker, I hear ya on the change and go thing, I have it down to about 2 minutes start to finish!! lol. I may have to try this galvenized nail thing though, seems like that may be a route to try.

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Last time I checked I wasn't a boat engineer, so I think I'll just go with the factory people, even if it meant I was to become a major stockholder in a shear pin factory. They are still cheaper than motor repair.

8. adeeden

adeeden New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Well,
    I talked myself into it i bought another dozen shear pins only $24.89 so i should be good for awhile again. The pins i was making out of brass were way to soft according to the guy at the local boat shop, so we'll see what these do.
    Arron

9. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    i use welding rods for pins on mine. have a 5 hp johnson. i would also suggest getting a prop cover to help. i know they have em for trollin motors, dunno bout gas motors.

10. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Arron I bought a 9.9 shortshank Evinrude in 1975 and have yet to replace the original. I bought a bag of 5 and taped two under the cover just in case. It has been in some shallow water on several occasions. Once got a rock caught between the prop and housing, killed the motor but never hurt the pin. 40 horse is a different critter all together. I change it if I hit a leaf. I've got that replacement down to half the four letter words I know and about 10min. I would have thought there would be some way to adjust the tension but no one I've ever talked to knows anything about such an adjustment. I love that little 9er.
    Don

11. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i realey dont think its the pin . i think its the tension or rather lack of i think on those motors the prop works back an fourth agenst the pin and after a small time just cuts it i think the proper size shim would fix at least half of the problem . but after about 2-3 hrs running mine will cut it on w.o.t. just tacking off ( jack plate, tilt/trim. carb work ) hummm :lol: :roll_eyes: but for a 25 itll run