"She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy!"...

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by ladyfish50, Jun 12, 2006.

1. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Okay...Tractors...Who has 'em? Who wants one? My husband had wanted a tractor for about the past 10-15 yrs. He finally got one last summer. It's a '49 Ford 8N, & he loves it! In fact, we both do. He's already used it at our deer lease for bushhogging & we plowed our food plots with it---I learned to drive it! Believe me..it's no cadillac...but it is fun to drive. Recently he's been doing some clearing beside our house; there's an old grown-up field right beside us, so he's been pushing it all back. That old tractor is really a work horse!! So...anybody with a tractor, or wants a tractor, or tractor memories, pictures, etc., let me hear from you.

Attached Files:

2. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Thats a nice tractor you got there. My father had one until he died, then my brother grabbed it.

3. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    Nice tractor! You have to have a farmer's tan & sweet tea to go with it (at least thats how the song goes)

4. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    Roxie, that is one of the great tractors of all time. the 8n and 9n lasted well beyond their years. their resale value is better now than it was in the 50s and 60s...dad had one that i put a lot of hours on. we had several different brands, but to me the ford is the most versatile and longlived........

5. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    Good lookin tractor you got there. Nice paint job too. I like to see them older tractors that have been well maintained. We've always had tractors around the farm. Up til a couple of years ago we had a dual wheel cab in Case. Can't remember the year, but it was late 70's I think. Planted about 250 acres for years with it. Then there was the old Massey, and when I was little there was an AC. Just this year we got rid of a mid 90s model Ford 30 horse. We've got a 78? model Case 1490 right now, that my dad bought new and it still runs like a top. That's kinda my tractor, since I've spent probably half the time I've been breathing on it. I've ridden it so much I have a chronic back problem because of it. And I'm only 26. But the big shocker is, that my dad, who hasn't bought ANYTHING new in 20 years, has broke down and order a bran R new 80 horse Kubota with a front end loader. My jaw dropped when he told me. Should be coming in any day now. Convenient too cause there's a spot back in the woods I want to clear out for a house. Heck with paying a dozer man.:big_smile:

6. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    I used to drive an OLD ford tractor with a loader. We took out a row of hedge posts with it. She was real slow just chuggin' along, but she got the job done!

-Red

7. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I've driven alot of Farmall's but my favorite was an old John Deere "H" with the spring steel seat and a front end loader. It would bounce you up out of the seat if you drove over a cigar butt.

8. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    I think every farm has had the 8N at one time or another, they were small but they were durable and a workhorse.:big_smile:

9. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I cut my teeth on a little old Ford looked a lot like that one. Workhorse was a good description, not just a model name. Willie, I know what you mean. My grandad had one of those old Deeres; as I recall the only spring on the thing was the seat! I didn't know cow patties had such mass until I ran over them on that big old chunk' a iron.

10. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    International 140!!
    That is the first tractor I learned to drive. I was helping my papa with his garden and I would drive it all the time after I learned how. That was the tractor I drove on my uncle's farm putting in 'baccer. Then I moved up to the JD 5300 then to the JD 2940. Loved the 2940, it drove so well...Probably my favorite tractor.

11. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    The 8n and 9n tractors were the best tractors made back then as far as i am concerned. I restored a 8n about 15 years ago right down to the original colors. Just a nice tractor that does what you want when you want.

12. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Dad has one that he fixed up that used to be my Great Grandpas. An old John Deer, you have to crank the wheel to start. I will see if I can get some pics for ya.

13. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    My grandfather owned a 1939 Silver King tractor, single wheel on the front end, great tractor only drawback was when it fired up it meant it was time for me to go to work, I hated working as much when I was young as I do now, more fun to fish all the time.............Doc

14. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Roxie, sure a sharp looking old Ford!

I remember in 49 our neighbor bought a new one. It drove like a car, even had a starter on it like a car. LOL I'd give anything if my dad could have afforded one of those. That hand crank on our Case was no fun after he kicked and broke my thumb. They said I cut my teeth on the iron steering wheel of that old tractor, I think it was a 1938 model.
    :big_smile:

Here is the one we own now, I think it's about a 78.

Attached Files:

15. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Yes I have a a bunch ., Now i have a Kubota M-4700 with a loader. Use it to mow the yard with a 7ft finishing mower. and bushhog down by the river.
    Got to have our toys.:big_smile:
    PEte

16. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Heck Dayton, that looks like a Cadillac to me. I spent all my teenage years on a 2000; my senior year in high school I went for my football physical. I got off the tractor and went into the school to see the Doc. He said "turn your head and cough," and I almost jumped through the roof. Things were really sore from slapping on that metal seat!

17. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Here is the old John Deer that my dad fixed up. I told him to send me before and after pics. Little brother found this one in a hurry and sent it to me. This thing was a wreck, non operable when dad got it. He fabricated the some seats in the back that are not in this pic and the top.

Hopefully I will have some more pics of it soon. Enjoy

18. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    When we are in harvest, this is my home away from home. Don't be shocked, it is kinda big, LOL!!!

19. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Dayton, those old Ford 3000, 4000, 5000's are tough work horses.
    Although the farm here has got all the modern mega buck John Deeres doing the bulk of the work now there is still a few of the 4000's and 5000's still in service since the 60's without any major repairs as of yet.
    Still run them for dragging a disk on smaller fields and running bush hogs and gradings paths and drives.
    Thats a real work horse you got there. it just doesnt have the cd player, the air conditioning , TV, or the GPS.:big_smile:

I play farmer on a restored 1951 Super A with a 12 volt system and a 3 point hitch. Dangerous tractor on uneven ground but it is a workhorse too.
    I use it to grade, bush hog, disk , drag trees I cut down,and tend a garden.
    Awesome little vintage tractor with impressive power for its size.
    That ancient lift takes getting used to to do pretty work with a blade but I got it halfway mastered if I use it frequently.

I guess when this tractor was built rationing was still in the backs of minds after WW2.
    There is two gas tanks. The main tank you would fill with Kerosene. The small tank that most people think is a reserve tank was for gas.
    You would get it running on gas and get it warmed up and switch it to kerosene.

In fact we had it in the shop a few years ago and it had a small hole in the
    exhaust manifold. We replaced it with a strictly gas manifold. Runs alot better and I had no idea there was a difference in the manifolds for gas and a dual fuel exhaust manifold.

20. WV Hillbilly

WV Hillbilly New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I'm a tractor owner wannabe. I've had a savings account adding up for a New Holland TN70 for 4 years now. I drive by the dealership everyday and look at my tractor. Someday.