Shawnee Steam Plant in Paducah, KY

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by SkipEye, Jan 2, 2008.

1. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I posted this question on the Sci-Fi thread but am afraid it is lost and buried. Does anyone know aything about this location as far as SkipJack fishing? Steam plants seem to be all the rage so why not this one (actual name TVA Shawnee Fossil Plant)?

I just found Shawnee Steam Plant in Paducah while surfing online. Anyone have any info? It is only 23 miles from the lodge.

Skips?

Fish from boat?

Fish from shore?

Waste of time?

Bring a big bucket?

The time draws near for SkipEye to head South. :eek:oooh:

I only have 1 day left to decide if I am bringing a boat and/or what STATE to even buy our licenses in.

HELP?

2. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Good question skippy. Maybe it's their top secret skipjack location. And that's why no one is answering your question!! HA HA!!! We're on to you!

3. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Well, I absolutely hate the thought of driving 4 hours to the lodge and spending another 3 to 3 1/2 hour round trip every day (according to Mapquest) driving down to Cumberland City just to fish in Tennessee. (Assuming the skips still are not at the dams). Guess unless I get some enlightening info we'll plan it day by day. Guess, we'll fish KY on Friday, then see what the general consensus is for Saturday after the gathering (seems like a few want to go south to CC). Then fish KY again on Sunday morning before heading home.:eek:oooh:

I'm feeling like a blind mouse looking for cheese.

Prob. part of those Cane Tuck Ee Ans Master plan!:confused2:

4. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Darryl, if I may. You go right through Paducha. Why not stop in and check it out. I havent been there in a long time and naturally forgot how to get to the ramp. But a couple of hours should tell you all you need to know.

5. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I just talked to some guys at the steam plant. There were some skips in there hot and heavy a few weeks ago but nobody there really knew much about them or fished for them. Only accessible by boat to fish this plant. Nearest ramp is Fort Massac State Park in Metropolis, IL and then a 4 mile run downstream.

I also got the number for the plant manager on shift for Friday, they said I could call and they might run the screens to help us out. Thats when they blow off the intake screens and wash the baitfish back into the river. They also said there is a floating dike out front and you can tie off and climb up onto it, no problem. Also something about a dike to watch your depth on between two pylons maybe?

Thats all I know so far.:tounge_out:

Oh yeah..... the hot water discharge is the downstream flume. Don't think you can get near the intake. Heck, I forgot already.

6. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I think ol' Skipeye's about to blow a gasket...

7. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

Well, I have been known to overthink things a time or two.:roll_eyes: One of the burdens of my large cranial capacity.:smile2::wink:

8. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Geez, we get down to the wire and nobody wants to discuss the nitty gritty details.:confused2:

Anyway....... here is a shot of the Shawnee steam plant. The floating dock is right out front, the hot water discharge plume is on the downstream side (of course), which is to the left in the photo. Guess it will be easy enough to check it out on the way down. If that doesn't work out we'll hit the KY Dam tailwaters, then Saturday a possible Plan B.:wink:

If we get into them THEY'LL BE ALL MINE!!!! (insert maniacal laugh here!) :0a33:well....... except that I told everybody my plan.:eek:oooh:

Attached Files:

9. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Just watch out for the gators, they really bunch up in that warm water.

10. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Some of us good ol' cane- tuck- ee boys are gonna be fishing for skippies too. Some of us will be donating them to other brothers. No need for us to keep-em for ourselves since we have such an abundance. We catch them out of the river too. Nowhere even close to steamplants or dams. Don't fret the littles things. We will find them ! The weather man says ....Saturday morning , chance of rain, highs around 50 degrees.:boss:

11. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Alright, guess I can just learn to wing it and not get so worried.

I mean, I am all about the gathering too and hanging out with the members. I'm not trying to change any master plan, I just don't know right now what the 'master' plan is.......other than Breakfast.:wink:

12. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Note to Self, Bring Straight Jacket just in case Skipeye doesnt catch any skipjacks :smile2: Well find ya sum skips Darryl. I'll make a plan for you since you are having troubles.

Load family into Skipeye wagan on friday and drive to Cane Tuuuukk EE lake. Check out the area below the dam on the Tennesee River and see if there is some skips running there. If boredom sets in, get in skippywagon and drive 3 miles down the road to the dam on the Cumberland River and see if they are running there. If boredom sets in there, go back to the Tennesee River as there is a chance the skips could pop up from nowhere, especially in the lateafternoon.

Rest Friday night, for much anticipated Sci Fi gathering Sat Morning. After breakfast, eavesdrop on cane tuckk ee conversations, and follow the canetuckeeanns to the skips. We shall find them. It is like the setting sun. It will happen. Wax On, Wax Off, Ahhhh Very Gooood Young Danielson.

Miaggi

13. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Gee, that sounds much LESS complicated than my plan.:tounge_out: Sounds more like the stress-free vacation I need.

Maybe I won't bother with the boat and we'll just see what happens.

I can feel my blood pressure lowering already.:wink:

14. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Ah, the voice of reason. See, I told you those pills would work. LMAO :smile2:

Darryl, your killing me this morning. Good thing I dont have my coffee yet.

15. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    And if Skippy can't find the skipjack, he can always use those pesky Atlantic needlefish!:smile2:

16. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Just talk to " Griz ".... he can catch skippies out of a Kentucky mud hole.:confident:

17. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Thanks Doug, I'll keep that in mind. :wink:

I'm all better now. I decided to just head down minus the boat, hang out with the Bruthas, smoke, joke, fish and have fun!:big_smile:

Heading down early tomorrow morning.

WOOT WOOT!:big_smile_2:

18. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Heading that way in 2 1/2 hrs!

19. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    well how did everyone do? for those of us that couldn't make it inquiring minds want to know?

20. Mrs SkipEye

Mrs SkipEye New Member

State:
    Winfield, Misso
    Jason, you can review the following thread (Uncle Sci-Fi Memorial Breakfast & Fishing Get Together) for additional updates on the trip. Everyone is posting thier comments there.
    As for The Skipeye family we had a blast and actually pick up a few SkipJack along the way. :big_smile: