Shawnee Mission Park

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by delbert bumbleshoot, May 22, 2009.

1. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Snuck out to Shawnee Mission park with Troy {TAS2826}.We only had about an hour and a half to fish.seems as though the fish never bite there till dark.Troy caught a couple of skiers on worms.delbert caught 3 eaters and one skinny one that went 8.6 lbs on turkey liver.Missed quite a few bites.Keeps getting a little better each time. I keep dropping attractors.All nighter coming up next Saturday the 30th if anybody wants to go. It is my anniversary so I'll have to figure out how I'm gonna sneak away that night. I dropped attractors in 2 other spots where I used to catch fish.Will probably fix up a bunch of chum {old cut bait,freezer burned trout,old shad. crappie guts and grain.Thaw it all out and give it a couple days in the hot sun to ripen.I'll make a milk run and chum 4 or 5 spots that night and come back and hit 'em all.

Attached Files:

2. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Cant be any worse than my good ole buddy ole pal ole fishing partner Shelby. When I dropped him off last night, he just had to leave me a present to ride home with. Picture a Buick Lesabre riding down Santa Fe with all windows down and the driver side door swinging open and close. :smile2:Ill say it again, all you fellas at the gathering better pray for a south wind Saturday night after the buffet. :crazy:

Congrats on the fish fellas. Yeah Troy, ole Delbert sure does know his stuff on the 150-200 acre lakes. Delbert, when are you gonna hang that state record channel cat certification document on the wall?:big_smile:

3. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Went to Shawnee mission for a couple hours.Spent 1 hour getting river bait and another hour catfishing.Barely got a line in the water before something walloped it. Felt like a double digit fish{ it was taking drag right away. 30 pound test so I reached over to crank the drag down....too late he got me snagged....probably on one of my own attractors.Only had him on for a couple minutes. Missed several more fish. They would come by smack it and leave by the time I picked it up. Went the next 50 minutes without a fish. Jr was cold and fidgety and bored.Hell I was too I have such a hard time getting him to go I hate to get blanked when he's with me.But then as we were getting ready to leave He got a good bite. Jr got an eater sized channel.Reeled in one more line and all of a sudden the rod was bent double. Not a very long channel but built like a river blue cat.Weighed 6.2 lbs about a pound of which was soybeans. I made the mistake of verifying that by sticking the fillet knife in her gullet to see what she'd been eatin. I created a hell of a mess on my front porch when the undigested beans dropped out on the walk. I swept them off into the bushes. My old lady is gonna love that.I guess we never have many visitors anyway. I guess we know why. Driving around the park with a spotlight Jr got to see 8 deer a very large raccon and a possum.Add in a skunk and he could have had himself an Arkansas Trifecta. Here's a couple of pics.Picture of the coon didn't turn out but it was a 25 pounder if I've ever seen one.

Attached Files:

4. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    I dont know Eric but looks to me like Jr. is having fun.I think you have a fisherman in the makings.

Thanks for the story and pictures.

5. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Now thats some good reading right there

6. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    It's a difficult attribute to develop, patience. The reason is that the only
    reward for patience is more patience most of the time. Fishing is a
    perfect way to develop the virture, I believe.

7. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    LOL I know what you guys mean. My daughter will be 9 soon and she still gets a bit antsy. She is doing well though. My son is still too small to sit in one place for more than 2 minutes. I cant wait for them to get a little older. Taylor caught her first catfish last weekend, she was so excited.

8. catman73

catman73 New Member

State:
    Lawrence Kansas
    Nice pics, and a great story. Its always good to see a kid with that big smile and a fish in their hands! My son is 11 and he is hooked big time, my daughter is only 4 and I think we may take her out for her first trip this weekend if all goes well.

9. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Went out last night with Troy {TAS 2826} and Matt {Boombalaty} at Shawnee Mission Park for the first all-nighter of the year.Got a late start didn't get out till 10PM.Seems like the best time is that 1st hour of darkness. I had a tank at home with 30 bluegills/green sunfish in it but I figured I'd just catch a few out there so I didn't bring any.....I used to be the bluegill king on that lake. For the last 20 years I have fished the bluegill spawn there....The same 3 or 4 spawning beds/spots have produced large numbers of 6-10 inchers which end up in the frying pan yumyum. But that all changed last year when the dropped the lake level 10 feet and changed the bank in a couple of places.I couldn't catch a single one standing there on the dock. Just the other day I caught 15 in 15 minutes.Oh well never do any good with them there anyway.Set up on the same spot we've been fishing on and Matt got 1 small fish on dip bait.Big disappointment we had been doing pretty well there. That spot has some man made cover and is in about 15 feet of water. Set up across the cove on a shallow flat in 6 feet of water but close to the creek channel and drops off into 22 feet.Move paid off immediately I doubled up on the channels. Caught about 15 more fish there in 2 hours.No giants but lots of 3-5 pounders...Healthy looking fish with bellies full of soybeans.Started to lightning and thunder We moved one more time into the middle of about 10 noisy bullfrogs.Caught a couple more and buggered out at 2AM before we got rained on. The boys decided they didn't want to clean them so we turned 'em loose at the ramp. I was gonna stay after the boys left but realized I had my rainsuit top but no bib.Made for an easy decision to pack it in. I caught 12 channels 10 decent ones biggest one about 6 lbs.I think the boys caught 8 between 'em. They missed a lot of bites. Caught 1 small fish on dip bait a couple on worms and the lions share on turkey liver.A few wimpy bites on shad but no takers. I have proved time and time again liver outfishes everything else there by about 5 to 1.I would have liked to move and try a couple more spots maybe some deep water or around some brushpiles in shallow water. All in all kind of disappointing no big ones. Oh well I will find a pattern if I keep trying.The lake has changed in the last 5-7 years since I fished it regularly.

Attached Files:

10. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I had a great time Eric. Hopefully on the next outing we can get some big ones.:wink:

11. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    LOL yea that chum is something else! It was good to meet you also Troy!:wink:

12. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Thats what its all about. Some fellas from the BOC gettin together and doing some fishing. Glad to see you guys caught some fish. Congrats !!! :big_smile:

13. Mosquito Bait

Mosquito Bait New Member

State:
    Gardner, Kansas
    Troy, grats on your new PB. I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures of the fish you and Eric caught. Looks like last night was a good night to be fishing. Matt also set his new PB channel last night at Gardner Lake.

14. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Congrats on your pb Troy! Eric definitely can put you on some fish out there!:wink:

15. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    2 pb's in one night....that's pretty cool. Unlike the last couple of times Troy was smoking me. The first couple of trips it seemed like I was casting a lot farther...of course I'm using heavier stuff and heavier weights so I oughta be able to cast further.Seemed like the fish weren't very far from the bank.The first spot we only caught 2 fish. Both feeders were covered up so we didn't get a chance to try my sinking pellets and milo/soybean combo.We both lost good fish...I told troy the 10 lb line and the zebco 33 had to stay home next time. That was a real nice fish . I don't hardly ever use prepared bait but I had one bust the mono on the dip worm with the secret 7. I only had 17 lb test on that rod and I had the drag set right it was giving line. It's never mattered I've never caught anything bigger than 2 lbs on dip bait anyway. It only got 2 bites all night compared to the consistent action on the liver.Delbert had the Jerry's kids hookset down pat. I probably missed more last night than any 2 or 3 trips.

Attached Files:

16. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    that's pretty good for chumming and not targeting big fish. we'll move around and figure it out. Here's a few more pics Delbert got a 12. It hit so hard there's no way I could miss it.

Attached Files:

17. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Congrats on the new pb Troy.

18. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Good to see you both caught nice ones. Looks like you had a good time. Did Garen show up? I tried calling him, no answer.

19. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Those are some nice looking channels! Congrats on a fine night of fishing! :big_smile:

20. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Garen went with me Thursday night I only caught 4 little ones and he didn't catch any.I couldn't get a hold of him last night either. It was a pretty nice night ...it rained a little on the way out but it had stopped by the time we got there. i heard from the cop they have an all-nighter at Kill Creek on the 17th I think. The cop said they were catching some nice fish over off the dam { a 15 lb channel}.