Shawnee Mission Park Lake

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by whllh, May 26, 2008.

1. whllh

whllh New Member

State:
    Kansas City, KS
    Hi y'all Where are the good spots to fish at Shawnee Mission Lake? My son has a cub scout thing there next weekend and I was thinking about going fishing while there. And yes I do have my park permit to fish there.
    Thanks in advance for any help or sugestions.

2. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    i aint fished there before but near's i can tell, my guess would be in the water would be the best spot :wink::smile2:

just kiddin w/ ya. try to get ahold of Keith - Cathunter1978. he's fished all over that town so he should be able to tell ya somethin.

3. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Bubba , if your fishing from the bank in the daytime, try off the dam. If its in the evening try off the dock by the boat house. I dont have alot of experience fishing this lake for cats, but I have caught some. I dont like it because they close early, but I have heard of some 20+ lb. channels coming out of there. :big_smile:

4. whllh

whllh New Member

State:
    Kansas City, KS
    Hey, Jason, someone said bank fishin and I been standin in the water casting at the grass. Did I git it backwards.

5. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    if you did you aint the only one. by the looks of my results this year i think i been doin just that !! :smile2:

6. duckgetr

duckgetr New Member

State:
    Kansas
    try between shelter 7 and the dam. right in the middle of the two is a drop off and I have done well there before. cast out as far as you can. I think they have a fish feeder in the park that goes off a couple times a day to. That wouldnt be a bad spot. a lot has changed since I've worked there about 8 years ago. Call and ask to talk to Grant Evans. He is the park manager. Or Billy Thomas he is the ranger in charge of knowing where the fish are. Call 913-438-7275 and the receptionist will connect you to them. good luck

7. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Used to fish there 5 nights a week in the summertime. Got tired of being run out so early.Seems like the fish wouldn't bite till the sun went down.Used to catch some giant grass carp there....up to 52 lbs. Caught channels to 23 lbs. including 6 master angler awards.... over 15 lbs. If gas keeps going up I'll be fishing there a lot this summer. I have put 8 crappie attractors out so far.They seem to work good on channels too when combined with soybeans.I have 30 more in the backyard to get rid of. the wife would like to see all of them disappear.Will be out there for the bluegill spawn. send me a pm if you wanna go sometime

8. duckgetr

duckgetr New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I saw a guy out there today right in front of shelter 7 drifting and he caught a couple real nice wipers and he had a nice channel that went an easy 10lbs. He was drifting shad.