Shawnee Mission Park Lake

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Gtrrock482, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Gtrrock482

Gtrrock482 New Member

State:
    Mission, KS
    I moved to the area from Nebraska a year ago and wasn't able to get out fishing at all last year. I live fairly close to the Shawnee Mission Park Lake, and was wondering what the catfishing was like out of the lake.

2. LBM

LBM New Member

State:
    Prairie Village, Kansas
    Mike

I've only fished there a couple times so won't praise the catfishing there. To fish there you also need a park permit along with your Kansas fishing lisc and if putting in a boat you'l need a boat sticker on top of you Kansas boat sticker.:sad2:

Couple other lakes in the area that don't require anything other than normal Kansas fishing lisc are

Olathe's Cedar Lake http://maps.google.com/maps?q=38.84733+-94.84727&hl=en&x=13&y=18 with you can put a boat in but only allowed to run your trolling motor.

Olathe's Olathe Lake http://maps.google.com/maps?q=38.88256+-94.87215&hl=en&x=17&y=14

Gardner City Lake http://maps.google.com/maps?q=38.85351+-94.93359&hl=en&x=14&y=13

Anyhow good luck.

3. millertimemarine

millertimemarine Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    Name:
    Wyatt
    that permit he is talking about is a johnson county fishing permit and allows you to fish a couple other lakes in johnson county. i think it also works for heritage park and kill creek. i used to fish at johnson county all the time and it is a pretty good fishing lake. i never caught any huge catfish out there but i did catch some really good size bluegill and wipers (hybrid striped bass). last time i went a guy next to me caught about an 8 pound channel cat. best place to fish around for me was the fish feeders and off of the northwest side of the lake.

4. Gtrrock482

Gtrrock482 New Member

State:
    Mission, KS
    Thanks. I would fish over at Clinton but with it being near Lawrence I'm a lttle concerned about it being a party lake.

5. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    clinton aint a party lake. thats all at party cove at perry

6. Gtrrock482

Gtrrock482 New Member

State:
    Mission, KS
    I'll have to check it out.

7. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    read up on it fron the clinton thread. i fish the wakrusa alot but i know the flats on clinton where the wakie dumps in is good for some nice fishin. the channel that runs through there does some crazy winding around. there is plenty of flooded timber too.

8. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Welcome to the BOC from kentucky

9. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    I used to fish there for channel cats almost exclusively. We chummed with soybeans and or milo. Seems as though the fish were very light sensitive. We wouldn't do very well till the sun went down. If you're in a boat they run you out of there at 10Pm and they can get real nasty about it. Turkey liver was always the best bait. We caught some nice wipers on it and even grass carp.I caught a 52lb grass carp and he actually ate the liver hooked in the mouth. we caught over 30 grass carp over 20 lbs. My best channel cat there was 36 inches 22 lbs. I have caught a 12lb wiper there.The bad news is they seem to bite better at night. They open the park up at around 3:30 am because the guy picks up the truck there and has to go open all the other parks. So if you're an early riser you can get a jump on the opening time. Good spots are the big cove on the south side the steep bank opposite the marina and the dam. I don't know how the construction is going to affect it. We used to catch a lot of eater channel cats there and some decent ones.I don't fish there nearly as often as I used to but if gas keeps going up it might force me back there. Eric You can stay in there much longer if you're on the bank.:big_smile:

10. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    They also have one night each month in the summer where Shawnee Mission Lake is open all night to bank fisherman. I don't think they have announced the dates yet for this year.