Shawnee Mission Park Angling

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by SMP_Angler, Mar 8, 2006.

1. SMP_Angler

SMP_Angler New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I don't know about many other people, but I like to fish at Shawnee Mission Park, does anyone else that is a member here fish there?

2. Crispy Critter

Crispy Critter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    One of my sons lives right by there,but I think he mostly fishes up by Ewardsville.Is there any good fishing in that lake?

3. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Jeff, there is a couple guys around here that fish SMP. They look to be around your age. One of them is Brian Sax , the other one is R_bray89 , and I believe there might be 1 or 2 more. I dont fish it that much , being that they are not open all night. Although , I do go out there when the crappie are spawning , and take a few off of the docks at the Marina. Hope this helps , welcome to the BOC. :)

4. BoCaHoLiC

BoCaHoLiC New Member

State:
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Hey Jeff.
    Welcome to the BOC.

5. s_self88

s_self88 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    I fish it often. Not because it is good, but it's because that is pretty much all i have the opportunity to fish right now. It's not that great of a lake, as soon as i get a car, i'm driving to some lakes that are worth fishing. In the summer you can catch a lot of eater sized channels, they are kinda fun if you bring an ultralight rig. It is an old lake, so there is probably the possibility of big fish, but the spots that can be accessed by shore fishing aren't that great. I hear it is good for trout though.

6. r_bray89

r_bray89 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    I agree with that and i fish there too:)

7. SMP_Angler

SMP_Angler New Member

State:
    Kansas
    The fishing isn't nearly as good there as it is almost anywhere else, but it is still fun to go and hang out, you cant catch anything there that is that great, because it is such a dirty lake, but its fun to go.

8. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    There are a couple of hidden ponds at SMP, I have only been back there a few times, my father in law and I were catching frogs. One of the ponds is located off the boy scout trail and the other is up by the Horse barn, just follow the path by the power lines, it will be off to your left. I know SMP very well, I used to ride the mountain bike trails quite often.

chris

9. CatfishSam

CatfishSam New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I didn't know they had a place to fish in that park.

10. SMP_Angler

SMP_Angler New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Yes, there are many places to fish in SMP. The catfish aren't very active in the main lake right now. So far in the past two weeks, all i have caught is a 6 lb and a 12 lb channel cat.

11. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Those are good channels by my standards. Keep it up. :)

12. cassidythedog

cassidythedog New Member

State:
    arizona
    i grew up fishing lake quivira in shawnee, mission kansas. That was the days ever day after school grab your poles and go fish till dark.:) Good to know there are jayhawk fans on the site.

13. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Heck, I'd be tickled with a 12lb channel, and especially so from Shawnee Mission Lake. Good job!

14. sparky806

sparky806 New Member

State:
    Shawnee Kansas
    SMP has some nice channel's in it. Try fishing the creek after a hard rain, drifting worms with the current. I do pretty good fishing the NW corner of the damn with green sunfish. Try the flats with sunfish when the water warms a little more.
    Richard

15. phlat

phlat New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Has anyone tried this place out in the last few weeks? I went out about about 3-4 weeks ago and got rained on. Haven't had much luck finding anything other than bait. Been fishing off the docks trying to launch stuff out as far as I can. Anyone else?

16. brian sax

brian sax New Member

State:
    shawnee kansas
    me and a couple other guys have been trying live sunfish and frozen shad since april. All we have to show for that is a couple 3lbers. We finaly got bored and used some danny kings by the spillway and caught some eaters. I have never caught anything throwing straight out from the dock, i have gotten them from the left corner and by the feeder, but not straight out. your best bet now would be using livers along the north shore at night. Saw a couple guys catch a bunch of 1-5lbers fishing from the rock bottom dock thing, i dont know what you call it. its by the dam kinda. so i would just fish anywhere inbetween the marina and the dam along the north. when the water heats up a bit you can pretty much go anywhere with bee-jay and catch a ton of em. If you want to try stink bait i would try to go to the spillway. good luck.