Shawnee mission park all night fishing....

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by KAW RIVER KILLER, Jun 22, 2009.

1. KAW RIVER KILLER

KAW RIVER KILLER New Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    I can't remember what thread it was in, but I remember someone says that they have all night fishing at shawnee mission park once a month or so. Does anyone know when the next one is? I looked on the county's website and couldn't find it.

2. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    It is this coming Saturday the 27th.....Troy and I are planning to go you are welcome to come with us if you want. I am already gonna be out there for the Cub Scout fishing derby. Last time we fished for 3 1/2 hours and caught 20 channel cats. No real bigones but lots of 4-5 pounders.I was going out tonight but it's so damned hot I skipped it.I will try to get out some night this week the 10 Oclock rule ain't such a big deal since I have to be at work at O'Dark thirty.I think we will be going out about 9:00. Send me a PM if you are interested. Hopefully you don't have a weak stomach some of that chum we use is mighty stinky.

3. cat lineman

cat lineman New Member

State:
    kansas
    What are the rules for shawnee mission park I know you need a johnson co fishing permit what about the boat, do you need a special permit for that and what about motors

4. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    It costs $16.00 for a yearly if you are a Johnson county resident $27.00 if you are not a county resident. A daily is $7.00 fishing and boating $25.00 $44.00 for non-resident. You can't use a gas motor there it's only electric. I have a 16' Lowe jon boat with a 24 volt 74lb thrust motor and a 36 volt 107lb thrust trolling motor.You need a Ks license and your boat needs to be registered.

5. cat lineman

cat lineman New Member

State:
    kansas
    I live in olathe so thats not a prob, I've got a 16' lowe lake jon and an electric motor that pushes it pretty good so I should be ok if I decided the heat isn't that bad:angry:

6. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    That would be great then we could hit several spots and talk on the cell phone to see if we're doing any good. I have several spots in mind to try. Since the channel cat spawn is probably on we probably want somebody on the dam.I also have 4 or 5 spots in the big cove to try. I can give you a bucket of beans [Chum}. Since my wife is still out of work you and grain is really expensive you might have to throw in a few simoleans. I don't charge a guide fee but I gotta cover the expenses somehow. We could meet at the ramp and I can give you a marked up lake map or something.If I wasn't worried about gas money I wouldn't be fishing there I've been hammering them at Pleasonton.

7. cat lineman

cat lineman New Member

State:
    kansas
    we can try and plan on that my wife had surgery today but I think by sat night I'll be okay to slip away, I've got beans I can start soaking in the morning to.What time are you thinking

8. cat lineman

cat lineman New Member

State:
    kansas
    What do I need to get for bait?

9. KAW RIVER KILLER

KAW RIVER KILLER New Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    Eric told me that turkey liver beats other baits 5/1 there, thats what I'm bringing. BTW thanks for the help Eric!

10. cat lineman

cat lineman New Member

State:
    kansas
    My throw net is in my big boat and it's in concordia so I'll have dip bait, nightcrawlers, and liver, and poss frozen minnows

11. hereflattieflattie

hereflattieflattie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I fished shawnee mission alot back in the day. I have let a few Flathead go in there. It was years ago. 1 was 35 and the other was 50. Wonder if they are still in there and how big they are now ;-) Late night fishing out there is great when the allow it or so I have heard.

12. cat lineman

cat lineman New Member

State:
    kansas
    Took the wife for the follow visit and I don't think I'll be able to make it Sat night hope all of you have a good night on the lake

13. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    went to the last all-nighter Saturday night with Troy {Tas286}. Got a late start about 9:30 and There were already 2 boats full of dillweeds in our 2 favorite spots. Including the favorite spot where I've dropped about 15 PVC attractors.We should have had the tater gun mounted on the front of the boat then we could have doused all the lights and shelled them with spuds.Oh well we tried anchoring out in the middle of the lake on a bend in the creek channel and got nary a nibble. Tried 3 other spots including a main lake point where the water has a 12-15 foot shelf and drops off to 40 feet. I caught 6 and Troy caught 5 we didn't miss very many, mostly eater sized ones. Troy caught the biggest one at 6.2 lbs.All in all it was pretty dissappointing. We had to listen to the guys in our spot whooping and hollering and they said they caught 2 15 pounders.You would think they caught Moby Dick as much dammned noise as they were making. Next time we'll get there earlier.Everywhere we set up on the bank we caught at least a couple fish. Pretty slow for 4 hours of fishing.

Attached Files:

14. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Maybe around the spillway or anchor over that underwater tree along the bluff.We couild find it on the sonar drop a marker bouy and mark it on my GPS in case we do any good. Might be a snaggy spot though. I still have 10 attractors to get rid of.We could put them off that main lake point down the bank from where we fishewd in the big cove.Or we could go to the opposite point where there is already a BRUSH PILE AND CHUM AROUND IT.we could float some bluegills around it on kat bobbers.

15. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan

Still sounds like a pretty good night you guys had.Thanks for the story and pictures.

16. Tunnel Rat

Tunnel Rat New Member

State:
    Kansas
    when i was a youngen we fished below the dam there at outlet tub used to be big hole there a lots of cats is it still there?????

17. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    I've fished there several times...not recently but never caught anything there