Shawnee Mission Lake ???

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Salty1, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    I have a sister who lives in Overland Park and I am out here visiting. She showed me this lake and it appears as if they live at the most 15 min. from this lake. Are there any cats here to catch ??? What are my chances ????? Thanks for any info in advance !!!!!!:big_smile:

2. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    John, There Are Some Cats In There My Biggest Was 6 Or 7 Pounds That Was In March. However You Need A KS Permit Plus A Johnson County Permit To Fish It. So I Don't Fish There Unless I Buy A Trout Stamp. I Just Fish Over By The Dam There Should Be More People That Fish There They Could Be More Helpful.

3. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I hear of a nice channel cat coming out of there from time to time. If you can get down to the bank on the side with the trees (south side I think) next to the dam you will find deeper water and more structure.

4. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    Hey guys thanks for the info !!!!

5. millertimemarine

millertimemarine Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    Name:
    Wyatt
    I catch a few off of the damn every once in awhile. About 2 weeks ago I took my kayak into a cove with a fish feeder. Threw my line close to the fish feeder and caught a bunch of 1-4 pounders. Threw them all back. It's pretty interesting landing a 4 pound catfish in a kayak with an ultralite rod and reel. Last summer I saw a guy that had a 10 pounder or so on a stringer by the damn. That lake is decent for wiper too.

6. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    used to fish there 5 nights a week. Seemed as though the fish wouldn't turn on until about dark.My bests were 22lb channel,52lb grass carp,12lb wiper and a 7 lb trout. If I could get this scanner to work I could show you lots of pictures. I was there Sunday morning fishing for bluegill.Pretty slow only got 10 keepers so I set up on the feeder and dropped 1gallon of milo and 1 gallon of feed pellets. No takers in 15 minutes so I moved on. Caught 3 channels 1-4 lbs drifting shad turkey liver and b-gills in 2 hours. Pretty slow but it was the middle of the day. The only reason I go there anymore is because gas is 4$ a gallon. Was at Pleasonton West Friday for 5 hours caught 74 channel cats 2-10lbs. Caught a 5" crappie on liver decided to give it a try. Put it on a 7/0 circle hook suspended off the bottom with a slip bobber. The other 2 rods were getting constant bites on liver was about to give up when the rod bowed way over and the drag was going out with the rod still in the holder.Fought the fish for 5 minutes only had a shallow rubber no-snag net not either of my catfish net.Saw her head close to the boat giant female channel cat but she took off straight down ran under a snag and came out the other side. Put the rod back in the holder on free spool hoping she'd swim out . No dice took most of my line but was still snagged up. After waiting 5 minutes I tried to get as much line back as i could even drove the boat around trying to free it up. Didn't work. Ended up tieing the line off on a boat cleat and driving off to break it.I have caught 5 channels over 20 in the last 4 years there my pb is 24.7 but this one was much bigger. 30 plus i'm guessing. I lost the Super Big Momma. No flats or blues in the little lake.I will be taking my 8' baitcasting rods with the 50lb test next time. Is it legal to use live crappie for bait? I think so .:crazy::angry:

7. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    If They are Caught By Legal Means and No Length Limit In The Lake You Are Fishing With Them Then Yes They Are Legal Bait

8. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    Thanks for the info guys !!!!!! I am back in Kentucky now but what do I need to do for a out of state license ??? How much will it cost me and is anybody willing to meet me there sometime in the future ???? The next time I come I will most likely drive so I can bring my equipment but not sure how soon I will come back since it is a ten hour drive ??? Any other sites near by that I can fish for Blues or Faltheads ??? And what about bait houses that stock Skipjack or Shad that are near Overland Park where my sis lives ????

9. s_self88

s_self88 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    I saw a nice channel cat when I was bass fishing there last night. It was probably 18-20 lbs. Of course it was on the bank, filleted...