Shawnee Mission Lake

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by KC Jayhawk 78, Feb 25, 2007.

1. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Went out there this morning for opening day. Caught these two trout on 1/4 ounce little cleo (silver and blue). Big one went 4 1/2 lbs. Smaller one went 1 1/2 lbs. They were biting pretty good from 8-10 am. Then the rain picked up pretty good, as did the wind, and the bite stopped. I was fishing off of the courtesy dock by the boat ramp. Some friends of mine were about 200 yds away from me on the flats, 3 outta 5 of them got their limit. I lost 2 nice trout due to me forgetting to bring me net, or I would have limited also. I wont make that mistake again. Those trout are damn slippery. Wyandotte opens next weekend, and Ill be out there Saturday morning. Hope I can get my limit there. Permit fees suck , but the action is hot. :smile2:

Pic of my 2 trout
    http://img148.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=88425_100_0028_122_6lo.jpg

2. dlbenthusen

dlbenthusen New Member

State:
    Louisburg, Kansas
    How much was the permit?

3. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    8 bucks for the JO permit, 12 bucks for the trout. I live in JO, but I think the non resident permit is 15 bucks, but its 12 bucks for resident or non-resident trout permit.

4. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    those are some nice looking trout my friend, this was saturday im assuming?

5. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Yeah , Saturday. Went to Heritage this morning after work, no bites. Try again tomorrow. :cool2:

6. KSflatheadKING3511

KSflatheadKING3511 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    i am wondering if any of you have ever caught a flatty in SMP if so where

7. phlat

phlat New Member

State:
    Kansas
    To my knowledge in fishing there for most my life, they have never officially stocked them. That said, in the late 80's I heard that someone released a eighty pound-ish flatty in there that was brought in from the river. No word of it being fished out or found dead. Not sure if the lake would support a large number of them. It would be nice to see if JoCo P&R would do a test run and release a few dozen to see what happens.

/i consider the source reliable.