Sharpness of Circle Hooks

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by alands94, Dec 10, 2005.

1. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Hello,
    I have never used circle hooks before and I received my first order of Mustad and Eagle Claw Lazer Sharp 6/0 circle hooks. They do not feel very sharp. Granted, I am used to using much smaller hooks (#2 - 1/0 Kahle). Do all of you find that the circle hooks are sharp enough as-is, or do you need to sharpen them before fishing? Thanks!

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have found that the eagle claw circle hooks dont seem that sharp out of the package..I use gamakatsu octopus circles and they are extremly sharp right out of the package.

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Sharpness is the main concern with every hook but with circles it is of extreme importance. It is the one thing that allows the hook to work efectively due to the fact that ya aren't rarein back on it to set it. As mentioned Gamakatsu is a good very sharp hook.

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    VMC and Owner circles seem as sharp as any circle hooks. Haven't used the Owner, but the VMC hooks have given no problems. If you read the package on Eagle Claw Lazer Sharp hooks, I believe it'll tell you not to sharpen the hook. I only use that company's Kahle hooks and few small J hooks.

5. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    As for all hooks I have always use the fingernail test. If you put the point of the hook against your nail and it slides it's to dull if it catches its sharp. Any hook that you are relying on the fish to catch himself has to be very sharp.

6. Abu

Abu New Member

State:
    Hemlock,Ohio
    I use the Gamakatsu circles in 8/0 size and they are very sharp out of the box. Only thing I would like to change on them is the octopus eye for a straight eye, have to snell the octopus eyes and I like the Palomar knot better and it is easy to tie. I have used the Eagle Claw Lazer Sharp circles and had no problems hooking cats with them. Abu

7. ksutroubleii

ksutroubleii New Member

State:
    New Philadelphia, OH
    My personal opinion is that no matter the brand, all new hooks need sharpened before use. Some brands are sharper than others, but for no longer than it takes to sharpen one do you want to take a chance on getting a dull hook. I sharpen all new hooks and also resharpen every time i change bait or bring in a fish. I do this for all types and brands of hooks and all situations.

8. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    If you read the label on the chemically sharpened hooks, they advise against sharpening the hooks.

9. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Gadzooks is correct, the manufacturer states that if you sharpen the hook it removes a protective coating and once removed the hook will start to corrode. The eagle brand circle hooks marked lazer sharp seem plenty sharp to me.

10. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    IMO the gamakatsu hook is the sharpest hook out of the box, bar none. Although I never use them due to a price issue. As far as sharpening the gammas, I don't think it is possible to get them sharper. You would probably only dull them instead. Vern

11. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    I'm going to throw a little wrench in the works to give you guys something to chew on. :rolleyes:

Gamakatsus are VERY sharp right out of the package - but what we've found when fishing them for Bull Red Drum and Cobia here on the east coast is that they get dull VERY quickly!! :eek: In fact we refer to them as "one-time" use hooks. Something about the way they're chemically sharpened causes the points to be very brittle. I don't know - I haven't used them for cats and don't know how they would hold up. Maybe it's the saltwater. Granted there are a lot of guys that use them.

I use Owners exclusively, but Eagle Claw has one out that might be worth giving a shot.

/Scott

12. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Ya know Scott you may be on to somethin here. A lite just went on in my head. After each fishin trip or before the next one I always inspect my line and knots along with the hook. I have been noticeing that I have been changein hooks quite often,more than I should be. Oops, I forgot to mention that I use Gamakatsu octopus circles. LOL! I'd love to switch to the Diachi chunk lite circle hooks but I don't feel like gettin a part time job to keep stoked up on them. LOL! The vast majority of the time when I take someone fishin they have very poor or no gear and tackle at all. LOL! I like the Gamas for the nice wide gap they have for hangin the cut bait on and keepin the point exposed. Thanx for helpin that lite go off in my head. LOL!

13. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I got turned on to "Owner Circles" several years ago, and I am completely sold on them. There are several other brands of the same quality, but it's owners for me! I pretty much use new hooks every trip.

14. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    I have a couple different circle hooks from different manufacturers and one in particula the hook seems to be sharp in the side of the hook not straight forward if that makes sense.

15. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
  16. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I really would like to see what the actual size is of an 8/0 in that brand. But, as we know there is no standardization with size when it comes to circles. I know what the gamas are and how wide the gap is for the cut bait.