Sharpening knives

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Phil Washburn, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i am one of the worlds worst at it. there is no one left in this area to do it anymore. i want to learn how, maybe start a side business doing it. anyone have any hints on training, equipment, etc.?

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Shucks Phil, I just throw them away and buy another set. There is no one left like the old peddlers. Use to get my pocket knife sharpened at gun shows, but haven't seen them guys lately either.

3. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    I dont know how professional this is but you can tough up a blade on the bottom of a cermaic coffee cup. The only other advice I know is dont cut shad in the nude, them scales stick evrywhere.

4. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    My pop handed down to me a Lansky Sharpening kit.. I tell you what, I put a razor blade edge on some of my knives.. I sharpened the Wife's kitchen knives and won high praise (which any married man knows that aint easy :roll_eyes:) ...

http://www.lansky.com/products/systems/standard.html

Pretty easy, no guess work.. just use the same guide hole for each side...Jsut remember, the thinner the edge, the sharper the blade, but the faster it goes dull...

5. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK

ain't that the truth!:lol:

that's one of the problems..my wife has some high dollar cutlery and there is no one around here that sharpens knives anymore

6. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Count your blessings...:lol:

Ol' Man
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Maybe I'm lucky to be going so slowly, because I may be going in the wrong direction. (Ashleigh Brilliant)

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Phil ,I bought a Smiths sharpening system frpm wally world ,Its identical to the lansky and cost around thirty bucks .Works great and I keep our set of Chigago cutlery kitchen knives razor sharp with little trouble.

8. KATMANDETTE

KATMANDETTE New Member

State:
    Cedar Key, Florida
    Lawrence W:

You're a wise man! I'm with you. Get some new ones....:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mik

9. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    yeah phil my uncle used to be the best at it and fortanately he taught me unfortunately i dont have any stones at the present

10. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    I've tried several different ways to sharpen a knife, and the best I've found to this day is spit and a wetstone. spit right on that rock, and go in little circles. Just be sure to keep the same angle. It takes a long time, but it's gotta be done. Also, the finer your wetstone, the sharper your blade's apt to get. Use that gritty stuff to start ya out, and a finer one towards the end. Then to get that razor edge you only see in the movies, loop a leather belt on your foot, hold it with one hand, and run your knife up and down that belt. As awkward as it sounds, it works. Anyway, hope this helped. And good luck with the knives.

-Red

11. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well, at work we just use a wet stone, and mineral oil, and a steel. If the knife is very dull, you may need a coarse and a fine stone. When sharpening a blade, oil the stone, then drag the blade across the stone at about 15-25 degrees, and only in the direction that the blade will be cutting starting closest to the handle, and at an arch towards the tip. Do not use the stone every time you lose the edge because it wears the blade down faster. Use the steel for that. The microscopic edge gets rolled over, and that's all the steel does is straighten it back out without removing material like the stone does. Trust me, my knives are SHARP.

12. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I have had an electric 3 stage chef choice sharpener for years now and have sharpened a lot of knives on it. If it ever wears out I'll buy another one just like it. It makes short work of sharpening straight and serated blades to a razor sharp edge. I sharpen serated electric fillet knives, straight edge fillet knives, hunting knives, pocket knives and scissors. I can sharpen them the old fasion way to a razor sharp edge, but since buying this sharpener my time is better spent on other things.

13. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Im also horrible at sharpning knives, but i got this at northern tool and hardware, its the easiest sharpener ive ever seen knife.jpg

14. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

I have one of those too but since my SMITHS i never use it except on occasion

15. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Phil, here is the one I use. It works pretty good. As you can see it has 3 different stones fine, medium, course. The fine stone is ceramic. I had a Arkansas flat stone but dropped and broke it.. worked great also.

I never been too good at sharping but my dad could sharpen anything. He always used a straight razor for shaving. I started shaving using his straight razor. I wonder how many use straight razors today other than barbers... guess barbers still do? I haven't been to one in 45 years. :eek:oooh:

Attached Files:

16. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Dayton as you can tell by my avatar Im not in need of a barber either :lol:

17. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Practice. :wink:
    Bet there is one of those dummy books on how to do it. LOL:big_smile:
    I always nic myself and have a partly shaved arm after my best go at it. :roll_eyes: :tounge_out:

18. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I don't know why, but when I was a little kid, I just HAD to learn how to sharpen a pocket knife. It just fascinated me. My grandpa taught me one way, and my uncle taught me another. Both work extremely well. Grandpa taught me to go in little circles, but never against the edge. Uncle John taught me the straight down the rock method, going towards the edge. I can get a knife razor sharp in a few minutes either way.

My latest sharpening "stone" is one of those ink-pen looking thingies from Wal mart. You just pull the stone out the end of it, tighten it down, sharpen your life, and put it back up. It'll be a great stone for years if I can keep my 5 year old son away from it. Seems he's interested in sharpening a pocket knife as well.:roll_eyes:

Only way to get good at it, is to set your mind to learning and go to it. Buy a little rougher stone at first, either spit on it or put WD-40 on the stone, and get to learning. Once you learn, muscle memory takes over and you don't even think about it anymore.

19. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    You guys will love this one! I learned it from an old timer in deer camp a few years ago and it's ended up being one of the best knive sharpeners I've ever used! AND CONVENIENT!!!!!!!!

Every car and truck that leaves the factory has a knife sharpener installed. Just roll the window down till you've got a few inches sticking up, and use the top of the window glass! The microscopic particles of sand in the glass act like a diamond hone. I've been using my truck window for years now and still haven't worn a spot down. It just takes a few swipes and it'll shave hair.

If it's really dull though and needs an initial edge cut first, then you'll have to use a stone. But for regular sharpening of the existing edge, it can't be beat.