Sharpening circle hooks?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Alsey, Mar 11, 2006.

1. Alsey

Alsey New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get a dull circle hook back to needle sharpness? That little curve that makes it a circle hook prevent you from getting the right angle with the file to sharpen the inside of the point. I'm using one of those flat diamond files. Is there any other style of sharpener that can get on the point?

2. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    I use a rat tail file like you'd sharpen a chain saw. Probably not the best way. But A way.

3. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    Walmart has a sharpening stick, diamond coated, tapered on one end, 1/4 inch round on the other with a flat, and a groove down this end. Whole thing fits into a metal pen-shaped case with a pocket clip. I think I gave about 6 bucks for it.

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I dont even try it, I figured it would be to hard, I just throw them away if they get dull.

5. ksutroubleii

ksutroubleii New Member

State:
    New Philadelphia, OH
    I believe the one I use is made by Laker and sold at walmart. It is round and has a v shaped grove on one side. Makes it very easy to sharpen circles. I sharpen all of my new hooks before using and about everyother cast. Hooks can never be too sharp.

6. bill_gfish

bill_gfish New Member

State:
    st. marys, oh
    I am with Jack on this one. When they get dull I throw them away. Too much work to sharpen. And I don't think you can get a gamakatzu circle any sharper than what comes out of the package.

7. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    After a couple uses or after snaggin a rock and dulling the point i just toss them not worth the time now with my spinner baits ill spend the time