Sharp Knife, First Time-Everytime

Discussion in 'Catfishing Library' started by SubnetZero, Jan 5, 2008.

1. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    There was a Thread a while back about sharpening Knives.. I recently Sharpened some of the Wifes Kitchen Knives and got high praise. Anyone thats been married for a number of years knows "High praise" About anything very seldom happens :wink:

Anyways, I figured it was time for me to sharpen up my bag knife I carry and I thought I'd post on how I do it. This particular Knife was one of many my Father handed down to me. Its probably AT LEAST 40 - 45 years old..

[​IMG]

I use a Lansky System. It consists of a holder, rods, and stones. The Stones In my kit are an LS 120 Coarse, LS 280 Medium, and a LS 600 Fine. They are color coded Red, Green and Blue respectively.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Holder "Holds" the knife and has different edge degree slots you can use (30, 25, 20, and 17), depending on what degree of edge you want. The lower the degree, the sharper the knife but will need sharpened more frequently. Higher degree is not as sharp, but will stay sharp longer. I generally use a 20 or 25 degree edge for my general knives.

IF your changing the degree of the edge or if your sharpening a new knife the first time, you'll start with the coarse, then medium, then fine. For resharpening with same edge you can usually get away with just the medium then fine depending on how bad the blade was abused.

[​IMG]

After putting the rods into the stone, Start by putting a drop or two on the stone and spreading a thin film across it. Work each side of the blade from bottom to tip

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then move on to your next stone doing the same thing. Oil then work both sides of the Blade.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After working through your stones, you'll end up with a very sharp knife.
    Put a thin coat of oil on the blade and remember ITS SHARP, so be careful its doesn't bite ya

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have a very nice stone, but the Lansky system makes it idiot proof for an idiot like me and thats a hard feature to beat